New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New member - 1996 Camry dilemma

Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Default New member - 1996 Camry dilemma

Hi, I'm new to this but need as much information as I can get to make a decision on what to do with my 1996 Camry. It's been losing antifreeze and overheated last week; my daughter's boyfriend found a crack in the radiator and put a new radiator in, but now there's an oil leak. He suspects a blown head gasket, but doesn't have time to fix it. I know I need to get an estimate, but I don't trust the local dealer. From what I've been reading, this is not a job for amateurs and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing. The car is a 4 cyl. with 150,000 miles. It does run, but I'm afraid to drive it and damage it further. I'm sure a dealer wouldn't give anything for it as a trade-in, but I read that parting a car out is an option. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM

If you can find a trusted shop that can troubleshoot the problem and offer you options, then save the car and don't part it out. Some shopw will give you the run around but some are straight foward and are willing to make deals to build business image...

Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM

that is too risky...
I can't suggest anything since I'm not an expert on this I guess your daughters boyfriend know any trusted shop...
don't part it out.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

The Toyota dealer will be the most expensive for repairs. Suggest finding an independent shop for estimates.

Whatever the dealer pays for the trade in they will take back in the selling price of car you buy. They will most likely not fix your old car but wholesale it out for what they can get.

The best methods for determining if a head gasket is blown is to do a coolant system pressure test or a block test.

The pressure test uses a hand pump to pressurize the coolant system and check for leaks and loss of pressure that can be caused by a leaking head gasket.

The block test detects exhaust gases in the coolant caused by a leaking head gasket.

Repair costs can run from $800 to 1500.

Keep in mind parting out the car can be time consuming and once it starts the car may not be moveable.

You can check auto salvage yards for what they would pay for the car if able to drive it to them as a parts car. Craigslist may have ads for cars in your condition along with asking prices.

Might ask you daughters boyfriend if he knows someone who can fix the car for cash on the side. A head gasket replacement is not that complicated and this person could make a few dollars. The repair costs would then be a lot cheaper.