Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New member, Not my car, Helping a friend out. (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-member-not-my-car-helping-friend-out-41824/)

THE_FATTIE 12-15-2012 02:23 PM

New member, Not my car, Helping a friend out.

Like the title states, Its not my car, but Im trying to help my friend get back on the road. The car is a 2007 Camry, 4 cyl, auto. I'm pretty sure I know whats going on, I just want to verify that I am correct before I get to far into the fixing process and possibly cause more damage.

I will start by giving all the information, and then see what you guys think, so that maybe our ideas are the same.

The problems started early this summer. The car overheated and was taken to toyota. They diagnosed a failed water pump and replaced it and that was pretty much it up until about 2 weeks ago. About two weeks ago the car became difficult to start, it would pour white smoke out the exhaust upon start up and while driving, and the coolant kept getting low. Right at start up the engine will shake violently and then after a moment or two it will even out. My first thought was possibly a tuneup. and after and oil change and plugs and air filter the problem was nearly the same, altho the car was easier to start for about a week.

I did a compression test and Hopefully I did something wrong. I let the car get up to to temp, removed all the spark plugs and checked each one. As the engine spun each time there would be fluid coming out of at lest two of the cylinders, it had a very sweet smell and did not smell of gas at all.

Results follow.

cyl 1- 150 psi
cyl 2- 175 psi
cyl 3- 225 psi
cyl 4- 165 psi

I know that a small variance is ok, but this is about 75 psi difference and most likely bad news. Any advice on what the problem could be or other possible tests to determine it, or do you think I already know whats going on.

Thanks in advance!

THE_FATTIE 12-15-2012 05:57 PM

A little more info. Cylinders 2 and 3 had a white/tan buildup on the spark plugs, it looked dry and crusty like dried up clay or tooth paste. The other two did not have any buildup but looked a bit black around the end of the threads.

Also I recently realized that when I did the compression test I did not have the throttle plate opened all the way. Second compression test will be done in a bit with new results posted.

toyomoho 12-15-2012 09:11 PM

One issue with this engine model is head bolts can pull out due to thread failure in the block. The result is a failed head gasket and coolant loss.

There is a long thread about this issue at this site. An internet search will also turn up many hits.

The engine model is a 2AZ-FE.

THE_FATTIE 12-15-2012 09:57 PM

Additional information.

Redid the compression test. Results follow.

Cylinder 1- 190 psi
Cylinder 2- 180 psi
Cylinder 3- 200 psi*
Cylinder 4- 190-195 psi, the needle moved a bit on this one.*

For cylinders 3 and 4 the * was there because when I relieved pressure from the compression gauge foam came out along with the air. Do these cars not have regular coolant? Im used to the green on yellow sweet smelling stuff. This stuff appears to be red and the smell is not quite the same.

Hopefully I can get this fixed soon.
Thanks

I have seen some things about that online, altho I did not know the engine model. Thanks for the information.

Does that mean the fix is a new block? or is it the actual head bolts that fail?

toyomoho 12-16-2012 12:12 PM

Compare the foam with the fluid in the radiator. Toyota OEM antifreeze that came with the car when new is red in color. The Toyota brand of antifreeze sold at dealers is either red or pink in color.

Not the bolts, the threads in the block. The block is made of aluminum. For various reasons over time the treads can fail resulting in the head bolts losing the clamp up force.

Toyota dealers, shops and private parties are now using something called a Time-Sert to repair the block. This is a steel threaded insert. The block is drilled and tapped, then the Time-Sert installed to replace the original threads.

The fix is now common. Time-Sert kits containing all the tools needed to do the job are available on the web. Only a hand drill motor is needed and a few other simple tools.

Make sure the issue is the head bolts. If the thread have failed the bolts will no longer torque up.

The repair requires taking the head off which you would need to do anyway for a failed head gasket.

A search under Time-Sert and your engine model should generate hits.