Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Newbie (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/newbie-4381/)

stsupple 09-06-2008 05:11 PM

Hello all. I'm new here, so here goes. I acquired a 95 Camry about 2-2.5 yrs. ago. It's really in pretty good condition, except that the other night I went through the glove box looking for any kind of service records. Much to my disappointment, I found very little. So I'm venturing down the road of DIY maintenance. First biggie is the fuel filter (as I've already done oil change and air filter). Any tips on method/location would be greatly appreciated. I got the filter today, so I'm pretty much ready to go. Thanks again, and I look forward to replies.

toyomoho 09-08-2008 10:34 AM

RE: Newbie

Typically with Toyota unless the engine is running out of power, etc the can type fuel filter never needs replacing.

Follow the fuel line from the fuel rail to the filter which is buried. You may need to take off the large air intake hose to the throttle body to gain access.

The lower fuel can intake fitting can be difficult to unbolt, often resulting in the wrench rounding over the nut flats. Before going at it apply penetrating fluid to the fitting and let it soak. This is a flare nut and fitting.

Use a flare tube wrench designed to grab the flats better and another wrench to hold the nut fitting that is welded to can. Otherwise the can and its bracket can just rotate when you apply torque.

Be sure to replace both washers on the upper banjo fitting, these should come with the filter.

Before unbolting any fitting wrap a towel around the fitting to absorb the gas as it will at first come out under pressure. Obviously do this job with engine cold.

stsupple 09-08-2008 11:43 AM

Thanks for the tips. Like I said, there really are no maintenance records, so aside from the oil/filter change and brake work (pads/rotors), what else would you advise to make sure she is running "right"?
BTW - there is some kind of electrical issue..... the dome light "burns out" after just a couple of days. It's been a while since I had a bulb in there, due to that very reason. Aside from taking the car to the shop, any ideas??? Thanks again.

93camryxle 09-08-2008 12:49 PM

my big question would be the timing belt. When was that replaced? I good mechanic should be able to tell by looking at it if it is decent condition or if it shows signs of wear (cracking around teeth or rounded edges.) If the belt breaks, it could be catastophic to the engine.

stsupple 09-08-2008 01:09 PM

I'll check the belt tonight! Thanks so much!!! [sm=groupwave.gif]

toyomoho 09-08-2008 11:25 PM

If an automatic trans check the fluid condition, if black change it. Might drop and clean the trans pan and filter. Clean fluid in good condition is a key to long trans life.

Check the condition of the PS and brake fluid, if never changed replace these. Same for the differential fluid.

The plastic upper tank tends to crack and leak, (very slowly at first). Thus inspect the tank for signs of leakage. At this age, the coolant hoses can start to fail, if one fails change them all.

Most of the other items can be checked by inspection or replaced as needed. Loose or worn out suspension bushings, upper engine mount, etc.

If doing the timing belt inspect the cam, crank and oil pump seal (if 4 cylinder) for leakage.

stsupple 09-10-2008 02:40 PM

With the auto Trans, is changing the filter necessary/essencial, or just advised. I've only changed the trans fluid on an Acura Legend I used to own, and I'm not sure if I did it right. Basically I pulled the drain plug from the Trans, drained the old fluid, and refilled. Do I need to pay attention to anything in particular on the Camry?