New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Camry - Smell of Gasoline through the vent

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Default Camry - Smell of Gasoline through the vent

My 2003 Camry has had a smell of gasoline coming through the vent recently. I took it to a mechanic and the said the Fuel Pressure Regulator had a leak and they replaced it. It has been a couple of days and I still smell gas. The mechanic said it could take a few days for the smell to go away. Does this make sense or have I been bamboozled?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Also, does anyone know where the Fuel Pressure Regulator is located on a 2003 Camry? If it's at the back where the fuel tank is, would it even make sense that I would smell gas through the vent?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

What is this vent location?

Pressure regulator is in the tank on the fuel pump.

Did the mechanic mean fuel pressure damper?

For the 4 cylinder. This is located at the end of the fuel rail (drivers side). The rail is located above the intake manifold.

For the V-6 engine. Located on the end of the rear cylinder fuel rail on the drivers side.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Thanks for your response, Joey.

The vent I was talking about is the vent right above the radio (A/C vent?)

The mechanic said Fuel Pressure Regulator was leaking but the receipt that I have says "Replace Fuel Damper".

And the Camry I have is a V-6 so it sounds like is on drivers side.

I'm mainly concerned that the smell of gas is still there 3 days later and is not getting any lesser.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Appears then to be the damper.

You are smelling gas inside the car? And it's coming out the air vent above the radio?

There is no physical connection between the fuel system and cars climate control system. The climate system takes in outside air from a vent in front of the windshield.

Switch to recycled air (takes air from inside the car). Then determine if the gas smell goes away.

If possible, determine if the area in front of the windshield is the source of the gas fumes. The fumes coming from the engine compartment.

Unless the gas is pooled somewhere in mass or some absorbent material became saturated with gas. Fuel leak odor issues wants the source was repaired should clear up within say 30 minutes due to evaporation.

Check the insulation on the underside of the engine hood. This might absorb fuel if it somehow was sprayed onto it. Feel and smell the insulation for gas.

If there is an smell, leave the hood open when parked for the night.

Three days of smelling gas is long time when the cause was supposed to be fixed. If you can't find the source, take it back to the mechanic and have them explain why the smell is still there.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Thanks again for the advice, Joey. I will check the insulation tonight and take back to the mechanic if the smell is still there.

I appreciate the help!!!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Also, Joey.... I forgot to mention that I switched to recycled air and the smell appeared to go away. It is definitely stronger when not on recycled air.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

It appears then the fumes are entering from the outside of the car.

Could be a fuel leak from the dampener installation, but?

The dampener is located on the top the engine. Its installed on the end of the drivers side of the fuel rail for the bank of cylinders nearest the firewall.

There are two rails, one for each cylinder bank. The rails are located between the cylinder heads where the intake manifold is.

They might covered by a plastic shield over the top of the engine.

If your up to it. When the gas smell is present, open the hood and sniff around in the area noted in the last paragraph.

If the smell is present, engine cold. Do this when the engine is cold (engine off) as safer.

It has happened engines catch fire due to fuel leaks. Unless you understand the full nature and size of the leak, best to have the mechanic follow up.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Thanks, Joey!

I just sniffed around and it appears to be stronger on the drivers side of the engine so maybe there is still a leak. I remember my mechanic saying there was a bit of spillage when they took off the old damper. He said they cleaned it up so at first that's what I though I was smelling... but it's now 5 days later so I wouldn't think that is possible??? I am going to bring it back to him Friday morning.

One last thing... I had my spark plugs replaced a couple months ago. A loose plug wouldn't cause any sort of gas smell, would it?

Thanks again for all your help.... I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Agree, 5 days is too long for the smell not to clear up. The engine runs hot and should have evaporated any fuel that dripped onto it during repairs quickly!

A loose plug could cause a smell. However if this loose you should hear the air inside the cylinder being blown out. And perhaps experience poorer engine operation.

With engine running and hood open. Listen to the area on the firewall and radiator sides of the engine (where exhaust pipes are) for a whooshing sound like air being blown out of a hole.

If found, take it back to the mechanic ASAP. A leaking plug can cause damage to the spark plug threads in the head. If the plug is loose enough, it can blow out and damage something.

My guess is there is a fuel line leak.

Post back with what the mechanic finds. They should be able to visually inspect the fuel system, engine on, and spot any leaks.

Quick Reply: Camry - Smell of Gasoline through the vent