Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   OilFilter Wrench (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/oilfilter-wrench-40582/)

albee3032 05-01-2012 06:59 PM

OilFilter Wrench

Hellow all new to forum new to Toyota line have a question have a 2010 Camry LE Like to change my own oil does anybody have a favorite oil filter wrench they use? If so were can I find one have Autozone and Advanceauto near by Thank You

full house 05-01-2012 08:27 PM

Have you try to look in your nearest local market? Some cost too much...

boricua 05-01-2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by albee3032 (Post 71383)
Hellow all new to forum new to Toyota line have a question have a 2010 Camry LE Like to change my own oil does anybody have a favorite oil filter wrench they use? If so were can I find one have Autozone and Advanceauto near by Thank You

i use the Toyota OEM at work ,you can purchase the OEM Tool at your local toyota/lexus dealer $50.00 i also have a AST Part number TOY640$20.00-35.00 but im not a big fan of the ast one if filter was over tight ast will slip and this one of ebay is identical to the bluepoint one it works great

TOYOTA Prius & Corolla 64.5mm 6 SLOT ONLY OIL FILTER WRENCH REMOVAL TOOL | eBay

ryna88 05-29-2015 05:52 PM

my filter on 2010 camry 4 cyl is way to tight. i just took off and thought i would break something. i installed 5000 miles ago and snugged till it met the engine block. it was hard to remove the last time and worse this time? should i take a turn or two off it now ? it would leave space between top of filter canister and block nutty design or me

Patonium 05-29-2015 09:29 PM

I've always only put on oil filters 'hand tight.' I've never had a problem with them coming loose or tightening up.
I wonder if your threads are messed up.

ryna88 05-30-2015 12:28 AM

we are talking about that deep threaded canister filter on the 4 cyl 2010 camry ? i thought i heard others complain. no way i can hand tighten - i had a 1/2" rachet on the end of the filter wrench and it was all i could do to remove it -not that bad to install but........... - like you said, maybe threads messed up - maybe look for a new plastic canister part #? should i back it off now before it "heats on"?
thank you

Patonium 05-30-2015 09:43 PM

I know that is probably not feasible (oil in the car) but maybe next time, install the filter as normal. Then remove it and see if it is as tough as usual.
When you change the oil is the engine cooled down? Might be easier to get the filter off if the engine warmer. Just don't get burned!

ryna88 05-31-2015 10:47 AM

I think last time i did it hot and thought that was the problem, this time i let it cool down a few hrs. worse- so maybe that would help. I read where people use cheater pipes on the end of 1/2" drive breaker bars - this problem is widespread and should not be??If i removed the filter how much oil would i loose? Also whether it matters or not, it has been a year to the day since i changed the oil and filter - only put 4,000 miles on it in a year? Another thing, i see i am supposed to have a drain plug washer - I did not have one so I did not nor in the past have I used one - guess I better get one - was thinking of having the wife hold a rag and vacuum over the oil fill hole as I install a drain plug gasket if I really do need one??
I have been changing my own oil for 50 years and maybe age makes it harder?
Thank you for the help!

oilmutt 01-17-2016 07:37 AM

Camry oil filter cap wrench

Originally Posted by boricua (Post 71386)
i use the Toyota OEM at work ,you can purchase the OEM Tool at your local toyota/lexus dealer $50.00 i also have a AST Part number TOY640$20.00-35.00 but im not a big fan of the ast one if filter was over tight ast will slip and this one of ebay is identical to the bluepoint one it works great

TOYOTA Prius & Corolla 64.5mm 6 SLOT ONLY OIL FILTER WRENCH REMOVAL TOOL | eBay

Please note the camry 4 cly and 6cly engines take different oil filter cap wrenches.

missouriupser 03-19-2019 06:22 AM

I replaced the plastic oil filter housing with a metal one soon after I purchased the car. But I do have trouble at time removing the canister when changing the oil too!