New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Radiator Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Default Radiator Problem.

Hello all. I just had a brand new radiator put into my 1993 Toyota Camry about a week ago. I noticed steam coming from the radiator as if
the radiator is too hot. I also notice that my fans are not turning on.
My question is a: Should the fans placed on the radiator turn on regardless of the cold weather outside?
B: Should I put more engine coolant in the Radiator?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radiator Problem.

Check the upper and lower radiator hose clamps, make sure they are tight. Check the small overflow hose that runs from the radiator fill port to the overflow tank for leaks.

With the engine cold remove the radiator cap and check the fluid level. It should be up to the bottom of the filler neck, if not add fluid.

Check the coolant in the overflow reservoir and make sure it is up the Max level when engine is cold.

You should be able to monitor the coolant level by watching the level in the reservoir. It will rise and fall at little with engine warm or cold. Check it when the engine is cold, if starts dropping add more fluid. If it continues to drop you may have a leak.

The radiator fans are controlled by a temperature switch typically on the bottom of the radiator tank. The fans should turn on when the coolant temp reaches approx 199F.

If the car has AC, turn the AC on when the outside air temp get above 32F and watch the radiator fans. The fans should cycle on and off when the AC compressor cycles.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Default RE: Radiator Problem.

Thank you for the advice. I checked the coolant in the reservoir it was a little low. All other coolant levels were ok. I hope that does the trick. Thanks for the advice.