Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   remote control (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/remote-control-39761/)

top213 11-26-2011 06:40 PM

remote control

I have a 92 camry with a factory installed remote control. I never had to use it until the car would not start. With the key in the switch the bells goes off but the engine is locked out. There is a red light flashing on the steering and when I press the left button on the remote I can hear and see the door locks work. IF I continue to press the bottom the light will go out and the motor starts right up. this is a now and then problem. could it be the battery in the car or the remote?:confused:

toyomoho 11-27-2011 09:23 AM

When the light is flashing the engine turns over but does not start, when the light is off the engine turns over and starts?

What type of ign key? Standard or transponder type?

top213 11-28-2011 07:59 AM

it is a regular key. gave the battery a charge and the car started up. The other problem is that we got the car home. it sat over night. started right up, drove it about 2 miles just enough to get it warm and now the engine will not hold a idle speed. It will start and run but you have to use the accelerator to keep the idle up. so, the cold idle works. TPS?

top213 11-28-2011 08:04 AM

the car will not crank when the light is flashing. The door and key bells go off but the motor will not turn , the light must be out before the motor will start.

toyomoho 11-28-2011 11:22 AM

Not sure Toyota offered in 92 a theft system that disabled the engine or starter, typically Toyota systems disable the ign system, the engine will still turn over.

The link below may have the owners manual.

http://www.kerkerinck.de/allgemeinei...pt_Belgium.pdf

Check under the dash for a box and wiring that looks out of place, Toyota products are designed to fully integrate with the cars wiring. Also look under the steering wheel column covers for aftermarket wiring.

Typically starter kill systems splice in between the ign switch wiring. Once you have the steering column covers off if all else fails you can disconnect the theft system wiring and reconnect the factory wiring to take the theft system out of the ign starter loop.

Could be TPS, if you have the data it can be tested.

The IAC valve controls idle speed. Suggest an internet search on cleaning the IAC for this engine model for info on doing this job.

Sometimes the coolant temp sensor for the computer fails, resulting in idle, starting and drivability issues.

The Autozone website has a good deal of service info in the sites vehicle repair guide section. You will need a password to access but the site is free.

full house 11-28-2011 07:02 PM

probably the battery on the remote... It always that way.

top213 11-29-2011 09:04 AM

The owners manual shows a different remote switch. There is no key as shown . The remote I have has two buttons and a light that blinks when the button is pushed. The left button works the doors. I think the right sets the alarm. The other matter, it does sound like the IAC. I watched a video which shows spraying carb cleaner into the IAC slot where it enters the interior of the throat of the throttle body to remove any gunk within.

toyomoho 11-29-2011 10:43 AM

Is there any Toyota branding on the remote? The word Toyota or the Toyota symbol having the interlaced circles. If nothing, the system may not be a Toyota product.

Look under the dash for a box and try to find the manufacturer.

The IAC valve air intake is at the bottom of the throttle bore. Use a product safe for plastics, some carb cleaners are more harsh then others.

top213 11-30-2011 03:33 PM

took off the air filter and hose assembly and could not find the vent to a AIC l. looked behind the throttle body and could not see it either. What sits under the throttle body is the distributor cap. I cleaned it out and put it back together the car will not start. it will crank, makes no effort to start. will check spark.

toyomoho 12-01-2011 11:39 AM

Look for a part like the one in the link below:

More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 2H1341