Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Ror (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/ror-52059/)

Ror 02-02-2018 08:11 AM

Ror

Hi, new member, never posted on a forum etc. Got an old 91 camry wagon that so far has been unstoppable but my young lad went through a puddle on the road at speed (as they do!) and car continued running but wouldn't start once it was turned off. Did all the obvious things including dry and clean out dizzy cap. Now car starts straight away but runs only for 3 or 4 seconds then dies. Any accelerator pressing just kills it immediately. What I have noticed is that the plug to airbox has to be disconnected or else it wont even start so maybe that's a clue. All this was about a week ago so car engine is well dried out now but problem persists. Any clues gratefully received!!.The car has so many emission control hoses and sensors its bound to be one of those that's the issue. Its an old car and not far off the wreckers but I feel its so close to running properly its worth persisting with even just as a farm vehicle (still registered). Once I get her going again I'd like to bypass all the emission control garbage so that will be my next forum query!!Thanks guys

toyomoho 02-02-2018 04:50 PM

V-6 or 4 cylinder engine?

Have you tried bypassing the fuel pump relay? Find a small plastic box in the engine compartment labeled Diagnostic. Jump B+ and FP terminals inside the box. Fuel pump will now run when ign key is turned on.

It's possible water got into a harness electrical plug connector. One at a time remove any electrical plugs and spray WD-40 or other water displacing liquid into plug and socket. Then reconnect.

Do you mean the intake air temperature sensor? Plugs into air intake box. The sensor has a rubber grommet holding it in?

Or the MAF sensor.

Ror 02-03-2018 04:51 AM

Camry idles only

Hi Toyomoho,
good to hear back from someone!. So its a 4 cylinder. No to the FP relay but I did disconnect the fuel line above filter, cranked her over and she chucks out good volumes of fuel so I assume FPand filter are OK. I have been fixing my 80 series cruiser wheel bearing so camry taken a back seat but I wil go out shortly and look for the box to bypass FP as u suggest.
The airbox sensor is just a rectangular plug that connects into the top of the aircleaner box and its the only one as far as I can see. No real rubber grommet- rather it has a wire clip each end of plug that you have to slide back with a screwdriver to remove plug.
Can you explain where/what the MAF sensor is please.
Thanks- I'll go out and have a look now for this diagnostic box u mentioned.
And yes I checked all e-connectors I could see and they weren't wet. The car has more hoses and connectors than a boeing 747 I'd love to disconnect all that rubbish if I knew what I was doing. Just more things to cause problems.
Cheers
R

Ror 02-03-2018 05:31 AM

Hey mate I tried what you said about bypassing the Fuel pump and hey presto away she went!!. Actually it ran rough but as soon as I reconnected the airbox sensor she ran sweet again. Cant thank you enough Toyomoho- this forum is a great resource and I'll probably be calling on you again before the mighty camry heads to that big wrecking yard in the sky.
Later I may consult you about disabling all the emission stuff to simplify the motor with less to go wrong on it.

Cheers and thanks again!
E