New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

setting the cams when replacing the heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Exclamation setting the cams when replacing the heads

hi there i was wondering if anyone has the cam settings for the 3vzfe motor i have everything cleaned and faced and am ready to put them back together. i just don't know which way round to put the cams of to turn them at all and how to get them lined up before i place the timing gears on them.
any help is welcomed.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

hi guys

i am trying to get my camry up and running i have put the motor back together and while doing so put the timing marks on the cams with the single dots just coming together and everything else is with the timing marks on the pullies and sprokets and stuff.

I am having problems with the timing the car backfires indicating that the timing is 180 out but the distributor only goes in one way i have a 3vzfe motor.

I think the research i found on the net telling me to line up the two single dots to come together with everything else to be top dead center is wrong can someone please tell me what timing marks to use and where to set the tdc for the crank shaft because i can not for the life of me figure out why my car will not start and run.

I have compression i have fuel i have oxygen i have spark i just can't get it timed right even if i want to i am almost certain the cams are out but how do i line them up and with what timing marks on what camshafts do i use because i only have the time to put it all together one more time or i lose my job.

Please help me people.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Were the two cam gears for each head aligned correctly when installed?

If the timing is OK the mark on each cam pulley facing the fender will be right under the mark on the timing cover backing plate behind the pulley.

And the mark on the crank will be aligned with 0 degree marking on the timing cover.

The distributor rotor should be at (or very close to) the No 1 electrode position in the cap.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:22 AM

3vz-fe
0.075"
1.63"
1.11"
1.2191" to 1.2195"
1.2204" to 1.2212"
0.0009" to 0.002"
0.0031"

Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 AM

hey there guys yeah i have tried everything i have pulled the rocker cover off the back head where the 1 cylinder is and lined everything up i checked the firing order and made sure that the bottom is 10 degrees before tdc and i still can not get it to fire.

The only thing i can think of is that i have lined the cams up with the single dot on the cam cogs instead of the double dots on the cam cogs would this make a difference and if so what should be lined up the single dot the double dot or one of each and if it is one of each then which cam is the single is it the intake cam or the exaust cam.

Or is it something else the car was backfiring it is now not backfiring but still won't start we changed the bottom timing 360 from exaust stroke to compression stroke.

Any ideas or answers will be attempting this again tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Cam cogs, can you define this?

Use the single mark on the cam pulley that is on the side of pulley facing the passengers fender. Line the crankshaft pulley mark up with the 0 degree mark on the timing cover.

The 10 degrees is adjusted with the distributor when the engine running and timed with a timing light.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:55 AM

What I mean by cam gogs are not the ones that attach the timing belt to the crank shaft but the two cogs that are on the cams themselves. The inlet and exhaust cams each have a cog that interlink them. And if I do line them up with the single dots then should they not be just have come together when everything is at top dead center or should they too be at top dead center.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure I follow here.

Each cog used to interconnect the cams has a dot (maybe more the one). The correct dot on each cog is aligned to the other cam correct dot during cam installation.

Once the cams are installed and oriented correctly (dots are mated) these dots are no longer used again to reference anything.

The reference for the timing belt installation becomes either the key way notch on the cam snout or if installed the pulley mark. And the marks on the back timing belt cover.

Don't know if when the cam pulleys are lined up correctly using their marks to install the belt the cog dots will still be mated, suspect no. Toyota may want the cams installed in a certain position then after installation rotated to achieve the correct position for belt installation.

Use the markings on the pulleys (or cam key way) and rear timing cover plus crankshaft pulley and front timing cover.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Hey guys yeah that actually helps heaps just one thing. There are 2 sets of dots there is one set with a single dot which are the ones we have used and there is one with 2 dots. Which ones do I use and is it possible that the exhaust cams have been swapped accidentally. Any advice.

Quick Reply: setting the cams when replacing the heads