New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Sitting Camry for 14 months !

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Default Sitting Camry for 14 months !

Hi guys !
I have 2005 Camry xle with almost 34000 miles . It has been sitting for 1 year & 2 months now in indoor parking with a some gaz may be a quarter & just a month before I was deployed to Iraq I had oil change but without filter.Since I will be using itsometimes in june. Please help me out here what should I do ?
P.S. The car islocated in a fairly warm wheather but about a quarter milefrom the ocean !
Thanks a lot in advance !

Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sitting Camry for 14 months !

Congrats on your return home, enjoy your time off!

The biggest issues would be the gasoline has gone bad, water condensation in the gas tank leading to water in the gas and the oil on the engine parts might have evaporated leaving the metal surfaces bare. This might have caused rust but barring taking the engine apart not much you can to here.

Remove the gas cap and smell the gas. If it no longer smells like gas it has gone bad.

The car should start but one concern is running all old gas through the fuel system may cause operation problems. These problems might be avoided if you replace as much bad gas as possible with fresh fuel.

If you can remove as much gas as possible from the tank by draining or siphoning. If siphoning you will need a small diameter hose, less the ¼ inch to be able to route into the tank.

If this is not possible fill the tank with fresh gas to dilute whatever is in the tank. Before filling add something called ICE (or similar) to the tank. The fluid absorbs water to allow it pass through the fuel system and burn. Suggest you also add a few bottles of injector cleaning to the now full tank.

If you can’t add fuel, add the ICE plus injector cleaner. If you are going to let the car sit again until June fill the tank full of gas and add a fuel stabilizer. Any auto parts store should have all of these items.

As to the engine, again there is not much you can do here. Personally I would at least disconnect the ignition then crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes off. This will at least fill the oil passages with oil before starting. I might even remove the valve cover(s) and pour oil over the valve train, cam gears, etc but the might be difficult with a V6.

Once done, reconnect the ignition and start it up.

If an auto, run the trans through all the gears before driving. Suggest changing the engine oil again as it does absorb water over time.