Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   What should I look for (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/what-should-i-look-52710/)

Igotanotherone 02-14-2019 07:52 PM

What should I look for

Hey guys I’m in the proses of getting a 1990 Toyota Camry wagon with 160k on it the guy says that it has an oil pan leak and a IE leak battery drains over night what should I be looking for Any advice is welcome

toyomoho 02-15-2019 10:28 AM

Make sure the oil drain plug gasket is not leaking.

Most leaks are from the valve cover gasket. The cam/crank shaft seals can leak. Check for signs of oil coming out from the bottom of the timing belt cover.

The oil pump seal can leak. If so, there may a slight drip from the rear side (firewall side) of the timing belt cover when engine running.

Other less common locations are: distributor drive shaft seal (remove cap and check for oil), oil cooler gasket, oil pressure sensor, transmission speed sensor (oil would be ATF fluid). Its also possible for the differential axle seals to leak trans fluid.

Also start engine and check for leaks.

For the battery. Ask if the car has an aftermarket alarm, remote locking system, aftermarket stereo/amp. Anything electrical added that was added, added then removed or no longer works. Anything related to any aftermarket electrical items. Aftermarket additions are the No 1 cause of drain problems.

If the car has factory remote door locks these can cause issues.

Can bring an VOM meter. Remove one battery cable terminal and connect amp meter across battery terminal and cable. Then start removing fuses to determine if the drain drops. If the door is open turn make sure you account for the drain of the dome light, etc.

The large size and amp fuses in the engine fuse boxes don't come out normally, thus don't try to remove them!! Just remove the small amp blade fuses that are color coded by amps. There is a fuse box behind the driver side glove box.

Disconnect alternator electrical plug and battery cable and determine if this makes a difference in battery drain. A problem with the alt can cause a drain. Note the large separate battery cable to the alt will always be HOT power. Don't ground it to the car!

Don't operate the engine with battery cable removed or the alt will be damaged.

If you do buy the car and can't solve the drain issue prior to this. Disconnect the battery for overnight parking.

Igotanotherone 02-17-2019 07:48 PM

hey thanks for getting back to me. thats really good to know.
my issue is that I'm already working on a 1989 Honda Civic dx hatchback I had to do a head job and its taken a month and a half to finally get it all back together I still have to take it in to get tuned and do cosmetics wheels seats bodywork etc. pretty much the fun stuff. and the Camry was kinda a fun project but only
so I have decided to not get the Camry :( it just makes more sense to stick with a car I've done work on and have gotten used to then to start on a new project. and have to learn its new little tweaks.
I just need to finish the project I'm already on unfortunately.
if anyone else is interested in it just look up on craiglist Mass or NH Toyota Camry wagon it should pop right up its on there for 800$ 160k needs small stuff but I think he wants it gone so you might get it for less.
thanks for being willing to help me with this I really appreciate it.

toyomoho 02-18-2019 10:24 AM

Best to get one car done before starting another and a different make to boot.

Camry wagons are very popular! Thanks for the tip.