Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

88 turbo.....bad idea???

Old 08-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Default 88 turbo.....bad idea???

i found out the other day that a 88 celica has the same SV21 engine as my 88 camry.....was wondering, because those celicas came with turbos would it be easy to put a turbo one my engine??? and what problems would i have

i know my car is old and crap but camry turbo just sounds good [8D]

Old 08-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 88 turbo.....bad idea???

r u talking about 3sgte on celica....i saw few people swap that eng. into camry..i think u can try to put a trubo on ur eng. too...but eng. swap is easyer...

Old 01-19-2006, 07:50 PM

I almost put a turbo on my camry (94) but I sold all of the stuff I had.I have the info on what you need for the turbo

Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 PM

Christ when I read the title to this thread I thought you were talking about an 88mm turbo.

-Jason

Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 PM

haha

Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 AM
rin

if you do an engine swap, you will need the motor, ecu, harness, transmission (your current one WILL break the first time you wind her open), custom mounts, possibly custom drive shafts, at the minimum for what 'parts' you will need. we can keep this list going by getting a FMIC etc etc too.

the gen 2 is probably the easiest of the camry's to do a 3sgte conversion... cheap initial outlay, lets you spend more money paying someone else to fix stuff up (note the engine DOES NOT 'drop in' you WILL need to modify some chassis parts as it will hit in a few areas).

If it is being done by someone else for you, remember to budget a month of downtime that you wont have the car.

If you just want to pull the turbo over, you will need the manifold, turbo, custom piping for intake, exhaust, and cooling, i'd reccomend you upgrade the radiator, transmission, get some form of ecu tuning. You will run into a few more problems, such as relocating the oil filter/dipstick, oil return line feed, etc, but these are a small hassle that any experienced engine tuner can fix up without any problems.

Remember this is quite a simple reply, and if you do plan on going either route, remember to research as much as you can before you start =)

Old 02-27-2006, 03:31 AM

im kinda in the same cross road right now i have a 90 camry le with the 2.0 16valve dohc 3sfe engine and i was actually wondering about a swap to mr2 3sgte with lsd trans and all and what i would need to do so and some type of instructions ://

Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 PM
rin

good luck finding an mr2 trans with factory LSD, even more good luck (as in bad luck) closing the current hole and making new holes for linakges. get a v6 camry trans and aftermarket lsd/clutch/fly etc etc. mr2 performance parts drop right in as they are the same with the different housing for the FW MR set ups.

www.toymods.org.au is a good read for gen2 gte swaps...theres quite a few of them sleeping around the australian streets.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 AM

turbo charged motors has a lower compression setup... and its setup is meant for turbos... so... 1) i wouldn't do it and 2) get an intake

Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 AM

r u referring to 3sgte on celica....i saw few individuals exchange that eng. into camry..i think u can try to put a trubo on ur eng. too...but eng. exchange is easyer...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 turbo.....bad idea???