Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-15/)
-   -   Any luck out there? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-15/any-luck-out-there-5589/)

Luvless_96Yota 04-17-2009 03:36 AM

Any luck out there?

Has anyone tried adding a supercharger or turbo charger or even nitrous to a Camry with any luck? Any horror stories? I am just curious.
I have a 96 Camry 4 cyl 4 door that I am planning to use as a commuter, but I would love to be able to have a power adder to make it more fun to go to work everyday.
I know alot of work goes into safely adding nitrous, superchargers and turbos, but I guess I just want to know if anyone has created a sweet little sleeper.

toyomoho 04-17-2009 07:01 PM

Years ago Bob Bridge Toyota in Washington State offered a bolt-on turbo for the 5S-FE.

Ebay offers turbos but the quality appears questionable on ones offered for the 5S-FE.

Review posts at the Toyotanation website as members have turbocharged the 5S-FE Camry, it is not that rare.

Luvless_96Yota 04-18-2009 12:18 PM

I never knew such a kit existed. I might have to look into that.

st184 05-08-2009 04:21 AM

im boosted on a 5sfe. been almost a year. what would you like to know? also with nitrious. i've also done that. any particular questions. from experience i will tell you reliable boost is much more satisfying then power depending on if your bottle is open or not, if the bottle is full or near empty, the the bottle temperature is hot enough, and it costs near 40$ to fill every time. who in this economy would want that!? j/k....

nitrous is fun ish, its disappointing as well due to all the reasons i stated up there. i blew my head gasket and burned my clutch after 4 months. and this was with taking precautions such as retarding the timing and running colder plugs on a small 40 shot. i do have a 91 engine though and you have a 96. w/e you'd like to know just ask.

Luvless_96Yota 05-09-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by st184 (Post 22485)
im boosted on a 5sfe. been almost a year. what would you like to know? also with nitrious. i've also done that. any particular questions. from experience i will tell you reliable boost is much more satisfying then power depending on if your bottle is open or not, if the bottle is full or near empty, the the bottle temperature is hot enough, and it costs near 40$ to fill every time. who in this economy would want that!? j/k....

nitrous is fun ish, its disappointing as well due to all the reasons i stated up there. i blew my head gasket and burned my clutch after 4 months. and this was with taking precautions such as retarding the timing and running colder plugs on a small 40 shot. i do have a 91 engine though and you have a 96. w/e you'd like to know just ask.

I bought my Camry for a commuter car since my 69 el Camino gets about 10 mpg. So I never thought about hot rodding the Camry. I always thought about Camrys as a family car. That is it. But now that I know there are kits out there to turbo them as well as nitrous I am intrigued. I might think about it in a couple years. I dont wanna blow my brand new motor.
How much more power did you get? Was all the work worth the effort? Is it your daily driver?

st184 05-10-2009 06:54 PM

i didnt boost my camry. i have a 91 celica that i boosted. you and i both have the same 5sfe motor though. i did a 40 shot on a dry kit. 40 shot is equal to 30-35 whp or around that range.

burian toyota used to make a 5sfe turbo kit for the car but became an epic fail due to it having no intercooler. i made my own as many others have. piecing together the kit was the hardest part. you don't actually have to "make" anything. everything is bolt on luckily. you just need a 3sgte exhaust manifold, ct26 turbo, 2 bar map sensor, walbro 255 fuel pump, and 460cc injectors and something to tune with along with a wide band o2 sensor.

its not a monster by any means. i haven't dyno'd her but 7 psi should make me in the 200hp range. she has been my daily driver since i was 16. (now 20) and i just recently bought an 05 camry as my dd 2 months ago. so that makes the celica my weekend warrior and autocross toy. =D im very satisfied.

Luvless_96Yota 05-12-2009 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by st184 (Post 22537)
i didnt boost my camry. i have a 91 celica that i boosted. you and i both have the same 5sfe motor though. i did a 40 shot on a dry kit. 40 shot is equal to 30-35 whp or around that range.

burian toyota used to make a 5sfe turbo kit for the car but became an epic fail due to it having no intercooler. i made my own as many others have. piecing together the kit was the hardest part. you don't actually have to "make" anything. everything is bolt on luckily. you just need a 3sgte exhaust manifold, ct26 turbo, 2 bar map sensor, walbro 255 fuel pump, and 460cc injectors and something to tune with along with a wide band o2 sensor.

its not a monster by any means. i haven't dyno'd her but 7 psi should make me in the 200hp range. she has been my daily driver since i was 16. (now 20) and i just recently bought an 05 camry as my dd 2 months ago. so that makes the celica my weekend warrior and autocross toy. =D im very satisfied.

Oh that's awesome. I am not looking for a monster by any means. I am more looking for something with a bit of umph to it. I have a small block chevy in my el Camino that has alot of umph, so I am just looking for a little fun on the way to work.

st184 05-13-2009 07:47 PM

well let me know when you plan to boost the 5s. i'll help answer any questions you have. if you want to start researching and reading on some 5sfte builds.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?...l=5sfte+tuning

pressure 2's build is by far one of the best i have seen and awesome write up to follow. pressure's car dyno'd at 235 whp and 275 lb's of tq on pump gas. 5sfte builds have a lot of potential if i can say the least. i referenced this a lot while i was doing mine.

another place wealthy with information of 5sfte builds is www.celicatech.com

Luvless_96Yota 05-14-2009 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by st184 (Post 22595)
well let me know when you plan to boost the 5s. i'll help answer any questions you have. if you want to start researching and reading on some 5sfte builds.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?...l=5sfte+tuning

pressure 2's build is by far one of the best i have seen and awesome write up to follow. pressure's car dyno'd at 235 whp and 275 lb's of tq on pump gas. 5sfte builds have a lot of potential if i can say the least. i referenced this a lot while i was doing mine.

another place wealthy with information of 5sfte builds is www.celicatech.com

Awesome man. I still need to finish the swap I am doing. I am putting a new motor in. I cant get it to fire. I think the timing belt is off by a few teeth.

greencelt06 05-24-2009 09:44 PM

hey i'm new and have some questions around the same topic...i have an 01 camry ce(manual) any suggestions on getting some extra horsepower just for fun?...