Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

the painfully slow 5sfe camry

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Talking the painfully slow 5sfe camry

hey everyone, im new to the forum, as well as the Toyota scene! normally ima chevy man, but I bought a 1994 Toyota camry le with the POS a140e and 5sfe for drivin round town, this car is SO effin slow I can barely stand to drive it but I picked it up for next to nothing, its got 253k on an all original drivetrain. so, to cut to the point, im wanting to rebuild the motor with some forged guts and slap some +1 valves in it, with a megasquirt piggy and all appropriate engine upgrades....then boost.id love to find some low comp pistons...haven't found anything close to what I want though. money is not an option here, so please don't comment saying "just buy something else" if I wanted to hear that I wouldn't of asked anything in the first place lol with the right amount of money anything can be fast...and I have the money. basically im wanting 200whp which should be easily attainable seeing my financial circumstances. keep in mind I am a realist(hard to believe seeing as im talking about building a 5sfe) and im not trying to get 500hp out of a FWD import. my main concern, is I have found almost NOTHING on transmission building, either a HD kit for that slug a140e or a 5speed swap, with appropriate HD clutches ETC. just need to get pointed in the right direction. any help would be appreciated and thanks for reading!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

There are HD rebuild kits but the A140E is not heavy duty. Doubt will find real HD upgrades as with some Chevy trans. The reason being the 5SFE and Camry is a commuter car mix and its engine is designed for commuter HP output. A healthy trans should be able to handle 200 hp.

Swapping a 5 speed has been done and a bolt on if you have all the parts.

One option for the MR2 was a turbo 3SFE called 3SGTE. The 3SFE was previous to the 5SFE design which was also used. Look at the MR2 owner sites as they were more inclined to modify your engine model.

Turbo of the 5SFE has been done, search the internet for photos and info. Ebay may have something on parts. It is just a function of time and money.

At one time the dealer below offered a turbo kit.

http://www.meisners.net/Camry/WebSite/5sfeTurbo%202.pdf

The 5SFE can throw a rod if over revved.