Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

1999 Toyota Camry LE - Security Key Pad

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:33 PM
Default 1999 Toyota Camry LE - Security Key Pad

Dear Folks:

I just purchased my Camry. It is my first quality car with bells and whistles.

Right after I took possession, I put a new 12V battery in the key. For a while, the horn would beep a couple of times as the lights flashed upon locking the doors.

Now, only the lights flash. A voltmeter confirms nearly 12V in the key battery. Why does not my horn honk any more?

Also, the key has a lock, unlock, and a green button. What is the green button for? Does it disable the horn?

Please advise. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

The security system may be factory, dealer or aftermarket (user or third party) installed.

The car has a key FOB for? And this is for lock/unlock only or lock/unlock and remote start? Is this a factory FOB having the name Toyota or Toyota emblem located on it?

Is there a blinking red light on the dash?

After battery replacement despite the alarms going of were you able to:
*Use the ign key to turn the engine over but it would not start?
*Ign key was turned to start but nothing happened?
*Were able to start the engine?

Where is the green button, on the FOB?
Is this a 3 button remote?
Green could be trunk unlock.

If not a Toyota system, look under dash board for a box that looks like it was installed by a third party.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 AM

Thank you.

I apologize that my request was not clear. I have attached a picture of the Toyota factory key. I painted the "unlock" button white so that I could find it easily. The black button is the "lock" button, and the green button is the one I would like identified. I do not see that it unlocks the trunk.

Even though my horn no longer honks when the headlights "blink," the horn does sound when pressed on the steering wheel.

I have checked for blown fuses and found none.

The other key does not work at all, even with a new battery. It is also the key that only unlocks the driver's door and ignition.

At this point, I would just be happy to have my horn honk when I press the buttons to activate the security system.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Toyota Camry LE - Security Key Pad-tc-key.jpg  
Old 03-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible to change the alarm programming to beep or not beep. Given Toyota had many types of alarms systems and detailed programming instructions are hard find and different for each application fixing the problem can be illusive.

The horn works by grounding the negative wire. The horn will always have 12v power. The alarm would thus ground the wire.

Your key is not mentioned in the 1999 Camry owners manual.

Typical Toyota key features were lock/unlock, panic, rear window roll down and truck open. For panic may need to press and hold the button to activate alarm.

If possible look under the dash for an alarm box either on the far right or left side of the car.

Unless the system was some how reprogrammed (Toyota uses strange methods to do this), try resetting the alarm. Lock all doors, then open unlock the drivers door with the master key.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:39 PM
Default 1999 Toyota Camry le security key pad

Just bought same car with same key fob. My car was made in Japan and maybe why the key fob not found in catalog. Mine did beep horn today..short fast beeps. Thought I did something wrong as yesterday it didn't beep.

Originally Posted by MrWobbly
Thank you.

I apologize that my request was not clear. I have attached a picture of the Toyota factory key. I painted the "unlock" button white so that I could find it easily. The black button is the "lock" button, and the green button is the one I would like identified. I do not see that it unlocks the trunk.

Even though my horn no longer honks when the headlights "blink," the horn does sound when pressed on the steering wheel.

I have checked for blown fuses and found none.

The other key does not work at all, even with a new battery. It is also the key that only unlocks the driver's door and ignition.

At this point, I would just be happy to have my horn honk when I press the buttons to activate the security system.