Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   2003 camry replaced head gasket (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/2003-camry-replaced-head-gasket-3781/)

nineirishmen 05-14-2008 03:49 AM

2003 camry replaced head gasket

I own a 2003 toyota camry and recently brought it in to have an oil leak repaired which was being caused by a blown head gasket. The mechanic statedthe head was warped and at minimum thickness but proceeded to to replaced the head gasketand put the warpedhead back on using washers on the head bolts. I want to know if this was an acceptable way to repairmy vehicle.

toyomoho 05-14-2008 05:04 PM

RE: 2003 camry replaced head gasket

The bolts should washers under the heads (normal).

The best approach would have been to find a rebuilt, used or other head that was not warped or could be machined.

nineirishmen 05-15-2008 04:02 AM

What I meant to say is that they stacked washers up to make the head try and seal. What happened 4 days later was that my engine would not hold oil followed by cross contamination of oil and coolant into my engine with another blown gasket. Do you think this could have been caused by the prior work done on myvehicle?

toyomoho 05-15-2008 01:43 PM

Each head bolt should only have 1 washer, not a stack. Extra washers will do nothing but decrease the number of threads the bolt is are engaging with block.

The shop botched the job and it appears the new it by attempting to add more washers and even telling you. They should have gotten a rebuilt or used head that was not warped. The result is what you have experienced.

The engine needs a head that is not warped. Might also used new head bolts given they stretch and who knows if the shop over stretched them in an attempt to seal the head.

thomasz 06-04-2008 04:22 AM

I often to check oil leak at workshop so why don't you do that way.

toyomoho 06-04-2008 08:53 AM

?

alesha00 10-15-2012 04:42 AM

A great article written with great hard work...i must say....Thanks for posting this article. I am definitely tired of struggling to find relevant and
landlord lawyers
intelligent commentary on this subject. Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else in the globe is wrong. Thanks for your concise and relevant insight a great work of your which shows...I like your site its quite informative and i would like to come here again as i get some time from my studies. i would like to invite my other friends to this site, as you have done a great job.i must say...keep it up guys..Thanks for the information.I apriciate each and every point of your article.Really great information .Keep sharing …..Well done
YES! Great piece, keep up the terrific work.

grizlbr 10-15-2012 07:24 AM

Pay me now or pay me later?

This is hard to gauge with out a recording of what was discussed in setting up getting your car back on the road. I have done several get it running as cheap and fast as you can I need it to get to work and I will pay you from my next check. Got burned for the cost of a head lamp from someone at church. Or manufacture a vacuum advance HEI Distributor for a Cavalier for my sister. Now for the rest of the story? I refused to lay on the ground in 28% weather downtown and replace main bearings in a GM work truck that was going 500 miles for the next job on the road because it would leave someone I worked with stranded. He found someone to take his money and leave him stranded while someone else put a engine in his truck in a RUSH on the road before he could get to his next job.:eek:
I was discussing workmanship with my neighbor who is still with Boeing/Lockheed about stuff we observed there! Really you put your name on a bolt you installed with super glue pointing down? Who they gonna look for WHEN it falls out! Mid fuselage C5B forward of 1624" 1988. 220 foot ship we worked in 1/32 of inch (0.31) with a pocket ruler!

LanellePalmer 02-21-2013 12:09 AM

The best approach would have been to find a rebuilt, used or other head that was not warped or could be machined.

Robarttom300 04-13-2013 02:45 AM

Properties in Brooklyn

I'm persuaded to glimpse your position over here and yearn to yearn you the best. I think website is like a bulletins to connection up with people as communal mesh. Thanks for your blog writing and hold it up.....:confused::D;):eek: