Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Dealer from hell West covina toyota (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/dealer-hell-west-covina-toyota-40442/)

photo2u 04-02-2012 12:44 AM

Dealer from hell West covina toyota

Hello friends,

I need your opinion in this. I negotiated and got a purchase contract from West Covina Toyota. Chase bank wrote a 20k Cashier's check for the 21.5k car. I was planning in paying cash for the rest of the car’s remaining balance and registration fees. However, when I showed up to the dealer, the sales manager tried to get me to fill in a credit application. Of course I refused and clearly told him that I had a Chase Cashier check for 20k and cash to pay for the car. They told me the form was not for credit purposes and they were not going to run a credit check. I stated that there was no need for such a form because when they took a copy of my driver’s license and full automobile insurance card, they had all the information needed
They refused to sell me the car if I did not fill in the form. I walked out the dealer. As I was walking out, the dealer manager tried to convince me that their long form was not a credit application. I said thank you but I will NOT fill in the form.
Is it legal for dealers to refuse the sale of a car if consumers do not fill in their application forms?

full house 04-02-2012 03:21 AM

I guess its a good move, you are not just sure on the deal, I suggest go to trusted dealers that trusted friends recommended.

elderauto 04-02-2012 05:47 PM

You can report them to the BBB and give them bad feedback on places like Yelp and Google maps. If enough people do this they will eventually wise up and stop this business practice.

toyomoho 04-02-2012 10:20 PM

Don't know the real answer. Might ask at the Toyotanation website where more people buy new cars and may have run into this.

Also call your states DMV.

Doubt the dealer can be forced to sell the car if they have reservations about the sale.

Even though they stated they would not run a credit report, doing so is becoming common in sales that do not have dealer financing.

The dealer may want some coverage in case the check is bad or problems on your end with the payment.

Cash payment for sales of over 10K (not payment made by check plus cash under 10K) requires the dealer to report the transaction to the IRS. The dealership may have a one size fits all paper work requirement even for checks or not understand the requirements.

The dealer may be confusing requirements in the Patriot Act about what info need be collected from the buyer (none).

The dealership should know why they want the formed filled out and provide a specific answer to you. It may be the dealership owner or your state requires the form to be filled out or some info that would be listed on the form.

A sales person on commission declining a "cash" sale must have been told not to sell the car if the form is not filled out as this is money out of their pocket.

photo2u 04-03-2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 70890)
Don't know the real answer. Might ask at the Toyotanation website where more people buy new cars and may have run into this.

Also call your states DMV.

Doubt the dealer can be forced to sell the car if they have reservations about the sale.

Even though they stated they would not run a credit report, doing so is becoming common in sales that do not have dealer financing.

The dealer may want some coverage in case the check is bad or problems on your end with the payment.

Cash payment for sales of over 10K (not payment made by check plus cash under 10K) requires the dealer to report the transaction to the IRS. The dealership may have a one size fits all paper work requirement even for checks or not understand the requirements.

The dealer may be confusing requirements in the Patriot Act about what info need be collected from the buyer (none).

The dealership should know why they want the formed filled out and provide a specific answer to you. It may be the dealership owner or your state requires the form to be filled out or some info that would be listed on the form.

A sales person on commission declining a "cash" sale must have been told not to sell the car if the form is not filled out as this is money out of their pocket.

I understand friend. I see what you saying. However, I gave the dealer the option of keeping the car until the check cleared. A cashier's check from a local bank should not take more than two day. For transactions over 10k the irs needs your tax payer id. they do not need the social security number, nor they want you to run a credit creck . This is the form they need:http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8300.pdf.

Dealers know that the patriot act does not require you to run a credit check when you buy a car. They make that up as an excuse to try to run your credit. If dealers have a real legal reason to run your credit, they would give you the forms in writing stating the legality of the credit check. That is so very simple to accomplish.

I will address my concern with the local chamber of commerce.