Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Why so different? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/why-so-different-543/)

aebomb 06-06-2006 12:04 PM

Why so different?

my friend has a 97 honda prelude and ive got a 94 camry. I don't know what my stock hp is (post it if u know) but hes getting about 250-260 out of his. His is a manual with upgraded headers and cold air intake. mine is a stock auto. why is there such a huge diff in power(they are both 4bangers). is it just his mods or something about the construction of the car?

toyofast1 06-06-2006 01:15 PM

RE: Why so different?

In college I was a honda guy. I had a modded1990 integra and a 93 del sol. having lots of prior experience with hondas, believe me when i say your buddy is bull****ting you! Without a rediculous racing engine like a spoon sports or custom jg dynamics, the only way to get that kind of power from an h22 or h23 is forced induction. Also a 250-260hp prelude would be insanely fast. My t-5 volvo makes 280hp and 295lb-ft of torque. It blows the tires away with a 5-speed geartronic. A prelude would weigh 40-50%less than the t-5 he would buy new tires every month. factory h-22's make190hp add 15-20 for his mods.

lavalleemike 06-06-2006 01:18 PM

The difference is in the constructon of the two vehicles. Your 94 camry with a four cylinder put out about 125hp when it was new. It could be less now due to age and depending on how well the car was maintained. Your friends modifications help with power a little a bolt on part commonly adds about 5-15 horsepower. but, if the parts are not designed for a specific vehicle they may actually hurt the performance of the car. IE. putting an after market exhaust thats made for a honda may actually take power away from your camry. the major reason your frinds car is faster is the v-tech design of his motor. Basicly the camshafts have two different types of lobes and as the rpm's get higher the cams slide and the car runs with a larger set of lobes thus opening the intake and exhaust valves larger which increases horsepower considerably. Toyota is now doing something similar with there vvti motors.

jasmtz531 06-06-2006 09:28 PM

aebomb: Your friend is not making anywhere near those power marks. A stock 97 prelude will make 190-200ish. Givin its about 10 years old these numbers will be lower, but lets just say hes making 200, hypothetically. A CAI and some headers isnt going to get you close to 250bhp, not even 200 at the wheels. I have a 94 Camry with a 4cyl. Its making around 130 stock, substantially lower now. They are both 4cyl engines but his engine revs a lot higher (8,000 I bieleve). Basically, what I'm saying in this long drawn out post is that your friend is full of ****.

toyofast1: I know a guy with a fullweight, all motor civic hatch that runs 12s on street tires. He claims 250+fwhp and he claims he revs in excess of 11,000. I have yet to see any proof of these numbers, or in fact it is really all motor. I think he sprays the car buy I have never gotten much of a look at the car. The one thing I can vouch for is that he runs 12s, given he runs high 12s and only done this on 2 or 3 passes, I have seen him pull it off. But he does seem to go through a set of tires in a few weeks.

lavaleemike: One correction to your VTEC thing is that only the exhaust cam is changed, the intake cam doesnt have anything to do with VTEC.

-Jason

lavalleemike 06-07-2006 02:16 AM

Thanks bro. but, are you sure casue i had my integra type r cams out the other day and the lobes get larger on both cams? just wondering. And just add to the bull **** of this guys buddy my turbo charged intergra type r put's about 300hp. and thats with about 13G's into the engine.

aebomb 06-07-2006 11:39 AM

i can believe that he could be bsing about the hp, but this beast is fast none the less. IT HAULS. we took an on ramp (the curvy clover type) and hit 80 by the top. tires were worn so it slid a little we caught the dirt and spun, but still. But i've watched him outrun cops in this thing. hell be a 1/4 mile down the road before i hit 70. its insane.

toyofast1 06-07-2006 03:23 PM

Civics and 'ludes in the 12second range aren't rare, however it does require a rock-solid engine w/o forced induction.(revving to 11,000 rpm)My car was in the mid 14's before the sport exaust and ecu (232hp, 256lb-ft), haven't seen the track with the mods or bigger 235/45zr17 street tires. Gtech pro timed 0-60 5.8 sec. My poor SE Camry timed 0-60 7.2 sec.....I knew I shouldn't have side-stepped the clutch hitting second...excuses excuses. Bottom line is if you want your camry to be faster than a lightweight honda, there are turbo and supercharging options available, but be very careful with nos. I killed my first integra engine with a 75 shot!

toyofast1 06-07-2006 03:27 PM

I'll quit talkin about my Volvo.....this IS a camry forum, just using it as a point of reference. Sorry!

Patrick 06-16-2006 02:31 PM

did you integra have high mileage to melt with a 75 shot?

toyofast1 06-19-2006 05:36 PM

Yes it was pushin 130,000 when I installed the Nos. It was a fogger kit that came off a buddy's 88' foxbody mustang. I was on the interstate doing around 65 when i got passed by a z28, I caught up to him and we would run for a few seconds at full throtle before traffic got in the way. We finally got open road and took off I shifted t0 fifth around 125mph and re-activated the nos, she pulled hard till about 140, then BANG! blew a hole in #4 piston breaking the wrist-pin. As the piston rod flailed around, it knocked holes in the block and oil was running out on fire!I had to stop it from this speed with the clutch held in, motor dead, so no power asst. on the brakes, and extinguish the fire! It really sucked! After that I imported a b-18a from japan and had it installed. This was in '97 and I haven't been a fan of street racing ever since.