Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Winter driving (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/winter-driving-39532/)

martindt 10-08-2011 07:50 PM

Winter driving

What do you guys use during winter? Toyota dosen't reccomend snow chains on the 2011 LE.

toyomoho 10-08-2011 08:45 PM

Don't know what the issue is, perhaps clearance problems. Tire chains can have a lot of slop when installed and start banging around. They have been known to damage the ABS wiring.

I suggest you look at the clearance between the tire and chassis both at the top of tire and back side.

If my car would find a set of cable chains that fit the tire well, then use bungee cords type tie downs to take up any play. If installed correctly the additional tire diameter is minimal.

Make sure the excess adjusting cable on the back side of the tire is tied to the main cable so it does not whip around. Most cable chains have some provision for this.

Doubt if correctly installed cable chains will cause any issues.

Of course do a test drive on grass, etc before you really need them in snow.

There are also plastic cable chains which may be something to look at.

full house 10-09-2011 08:58 PM

I don't usually go out during snow but my brother still using his Camry though I told not to use it.

martindt 10-10-2011 09:27 PM

I doesn't snow here in San Diego, but my wife wants to visit the snow, possibly Big Bear CA, when and if it snows. Thanks for the non chain type tip. Didn't know those were around. Found these searching on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain...xgy_auto_img_c
cable type chain grip.

toyomoho 10-10-2011 11:00 PM

The chains in the link should work fine.

ukrkoz 10-13-2011 08:25 PM

there's a cute invention that clips onto rim and instantly adds studs type friction to any wheel it is installed onto. now, shoot me if I remember its name.

yeah, tried to google that.. sorry.. I looked into them last year winter. They are cute, basically, it's HD plastic spider that clips onto wheels, with "tentacles hugging tires. Tentacles are studded, plus, you have additional friction from tentacles edges. pricy! but very cute.

for casual snow driving, go to a mexican tire place, buy set of steel rims ( I pay around $10 each here in Seattle) and buy set of used Blizzaks or any other winter tire. Mount them on same place, and keep them for occasional use. Then you simply swap out tires.

I paid here around $100 total for 2 steelies with almost new studdies installed, mounting and balancing, everything. I see no need to put 2 more onto the rear axle.

hey, found them! spike-spider.

Code:

Application Guide: Spikes-Spider

Camry84 11-05-2011 08:25 PM

Siped Tires ...

I don't know if you have Les Schwab Tire stores where you are but if you do then drop by there and they will fix you right up, I like dealing with them, they are Always very helpful.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get snow and ice every year. What I've found is that "Siped" tires work very well on slick roads. I used to get studded tires here but found the siped tires to work just as well. I drive them year around (so no changing tires) and they last as long or longer than standard tires. The siping really helps with braking, on dry, wet or icy roads.

Some cables in the trunk are a backup and I have them since some roads require you to have them certain times of year around here.

I have chains for my 4WD pickup but cables are fine for the Camry and don't take up much clearance. You should make sure they fit your tire good and tight, the problem with bungies is that they stretch a lot at higher wheel rpms and allow the cables to get slack and whack stuff that shouldn't be smacked.

If you are a good driver then you can get away with just the siped tires, just always allow tons of room between you and the next guy (as if you had no brakes at all) and you'll be fine.

Best of luck in all!