Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Yo!! WEBmaster!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Default Yo!! WEBmaster!!

If you don't appoint patonium or some member that's a regular here to a position of Moderator and allow him to get rid of this insane amount of spam that shows up each day........... I hope you memorize what the tail end of a Camry LE looks like, because that's all you're going to be seeing of me before long.
I'm not willing to wade through reams of spam every time I come to read the board.

If you're old enough to remember Jack Paar............ "I kid you not!"

Pierre

Old 02-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

I tried this same thing and private messaged "moderators" and contacted via email to company that owns this site to remove the spam. No reply from anyone. I would really like to get their attention without being a total douche. I am open to any ideas from anyone on how we can get their attention. I don't think using vulgarity will help and I don't want to offend anyone other than the tools that own this site.
Pierre, I appreciate your nomination for a moderator. I also agree with you that there should be at least someone who is active on this forum be one, anyone!
This site does have some good people on it but the spam drives people away!!! They should look at ToyotaNation and see how their site is set up and use that ad format. Then forget charging people for amount of posts or a profile pic like TN does and they could have a winning forum!
Any ideas? Anyone?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

So I am thinking that I will start reporting the spam posts. There are so many that someone, somewhere is going to have a full in box, and if I am persistent enough, they will change or I will get banned.
Getting banned doesn't scare me because I'm sure I could just log in anew. I also have a few computers so IP blocking won't be any trouble either.
Let the games begin!

Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

So, I have started reporting the spam posts. When you click on the 'report post' icon in the upper right of the post it takes you to a dialogue box where you can type in a description. Below the text box it says that reporting posts is for spam/advertising, vulgarities, and harassment. I would like all REAL Camry forum members to start reporting these spam posts. Together, maybe we can get rid of these spammers who are muddying this forum and driving away real Camry enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM

I'm in.

P

Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Nice! Thanks Pierre!
I probably reported about 50 posts yesterday. Just FYI, you can only report one post every 60 seconds. Not sure why that is but I'll play the game.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Just an update for the anti-spam army of Camry owners: When I report a post now I post a quick reply that I have reported that thread. Feel free to do the same but it is not necessary. I do wonder about replies to spam threads and if that aides the spammers any. Anyone with any input about this?
I am also going to contact every single moderator and "call them out" on the shenanigans that is going on here.
I am always open to any ideas about how to combat the spam and/or get a reply from a moderator or site owner.
Thanks and let's keep the fight going!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

The following is a message I sent to the "webmaster" in regards to this site and it's spam issue and lack of a moderator(s). I do volunteer myself as a moderator in this message and state that I would not delete the spam, I would just move it to the appropriate category (Vendors). I also make a claim that I would be able to increase membership and posts.
Here is what I said:

Congratulations, your site, Camry Forums, sucks total crap and is a shame to the world of forums. You people are a sad bunch of 'sell-outs' to spammers and hackers. Do you even realize that you could have a higher post count from actually monitoring this site? Do you even comprehend that the Camry is one of the best selling cars of all time and thus has a huge following? These 'followers' would join a site called Camryforums.com and share info and questions and your advertisers would reap the rewards.
Your shortsightedness is your weakness when it comes to the bigger picture. I get it, you want to make money from advertisers and the post count is king. Can't you see that by actually regulating this site you can satisfy both the Camry enthusiast and advertiser dollars?
I hope that one of you schmucks actually reads this message and has the ***** to reply to me. I doubt it because I have tried to contact you before and I received no reply. You are spineless cowards who operate an online forum that has only a handful of actual members who want more from you. The least you could do is appoint an actual moderator to this forum. Why not? What have you got to lose?
I'll tell you what, make me a moderator. I won't even delete any of the spammers' posts; I will just make sure those threads end up in the appropriate category. This way, you will keep you post numbers for your advertisers and the Camry enthusiasts won't have soiled categories. Sounds fair to me. What have you got to lose? Nothing.
Currently there are about five to ten active members on the Camry Forum site, let's bump that up. I have read posts that go back to 2010 complaining about the spam and links to viruses.
Give me six months as a moderator and I guarantee an increase in posts and active members.
Stop being neglectful of what could be beneficial to everyone.
I look forward to your reply and answer. At the very least, have the testicular fortitude to tell me that there is no chance of any change.
-Rob

Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

To the Spam Liberators of Camry Forums: I continue my fight and I appreciate all your efforts in reporting the spam and making the owners of this site take notice. I have yet to receive any kind of response from any moderator (ha ha ha) or corporate peddler.
I have began private messaging to the spammers in a less than cordial manner as well. I am kind of hoping that I will get reported so I will know if there is anyone out there. I even claimed that one of the spammers used vulgarities in their post to see if there is any response. At this point, I just want a response. From anyone, somewhere, anywhere! If this is a rogue forum then it will get messy.
Keep up the good fight!! This will not be a quick war by any means.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Yes!!!!