Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here.

2015 Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Default 2015 Navigation Update

Is there a cheaper way than going to the dealer to update the micro sd card on the 2015 camry navigation system? The dealer wants $289 to update the maps.

Thank you!

Old 06-04-2022, 07:52 AM

I am experiencing similar with my 2015 Camry XSE. It has the Entune Suite with Grace Note, but no JBL upgrade. I purchased this car used in January 2022 and am now experiencing map issues in addition to the back up camera working sporadically and the clock freezing on a time whenever it chooses. Turning the car off and on appears to reset the clock, but the back up camera still appears to have a mind of its own. I understand that this is a 7 year old car regardless of when I actually took ownership, and that numerous technology updates and improvements have occurred along the way. I am just not sure what I should expect out of this entertainment center as I move forward. It appears that a new, aftermarket system that is comparable to what I have now will run about $1,100.00 and up. OUCH!

I assumed the map SD card needed to be updated so I bought one online, not from Toyota. All of the glitches outlined above were happening before I tried a new SD card update. In following the instructions for the map update, the screen starts out telling me the updated software is loading, and I should not turn the car off until it is complete. I do not. The screen also shows that "0" or 1 of 13 steps is loading, please wait. It then reverts back to the standard screen, showing my music options and the map screen (my chosen default screen). It never tells me the software update is complete. This series of screens and readouts happens each time I start the car with the new SD card installed. I am wondering if it already had the most updated map information installed? Possibly a bad SD card from the vendor? I have followed the soft reset and hard reset procedures listed online for this system, but nothing seems to right itself. I have also disconnected the battery for a time. This used to be the ultimate "hard reset" for all devices.

Beyond the GPS/Map/ SD card update - I have read in several different feeds that the Entune Suite is not the greatest and that Toyota no longer supports it. Or, Entune no longer supports Toyota, however you want to say it. Further, if I want to update my "infotainment" system, I need to go to Toyota.com and download the app for the the radio to my phone to stay current with updates. I note that when I do this, the app is constantly on and basically tracking me, regardless of whether the car is on or close by. I have to think to turn the app off in my phone or it wears down my battery much more quickly, along with the other concerns that go along with Toyota tracking me 24/7 for no apparent reason other than marketing purposes.

Up to this point, I have more questions than answers. Another question I have regarding the Entune System that is no longer supported by Entune - I have a pre-historic iPhone 8. Is this device too old to work with and support the Entune system? I am kind of unimpressed at this time with the Toyota radio and information system in this car. Things I have read along the way indicate this was not a stellar system from day one and Toyota was basically the only entity giving it rave reviews. If anyone out there can point out a bone-head maneuver I have made along the way or a procedure that I have not pursued that is as clear as the nose on my face, please advise.