Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here.

1999 Toyota Camry sounds like a helicopter

Old 01-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Exclamation 1999 Toyota Camry sounds like a helicopter

Hi Toyota fam....if anyone can give me a clue or has had this similar problem in the past it would really really help.

I have a 1999 toyota...4 cyl....yesterday when I started it up it sounded like a helicopter. I thought to myself that maybe it's because of the cold. I drove it for a little bit and the noise went away. This morning it did it again around 6am. I let it run for 20 minutes until the sound subsided and drove it to work.....

I get off from work and this time I sit for about 5 or 6 minutes. The helicopter like sound is sooooo loud while the car is on and in park. I decided to drive and the sound is still there.

does anyone have any idea of what this sound might be? It sounds like a helicopter/ lawn mower or something. The car drives fine. The check engine light is on from an evap leak (been on since last year from that prob). Tomorrow I'm taking it to a shop to get looked at.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Could be noise from a drive belt failing. Or a bearing failing on a pulley a belt installs on such as alternator, A/C, power steering.

The engine also has a "rubber" timing belt that operates the water and oil pumps, plus camshafts. The water pump bearing could be bad.

A competent shop should be able to find the problem easy enough.

If your up to it. Use a section of hose as a stethoscope to narrow down the location of noise.

Belts are on the passengers side of the engine.

Post back with what the shop finds.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Could be noise from a drive belt failing. Or a bearing failing on a pulley a belt installs on such as alternator, A/C, power steering.

The engine also has a "rubber" timing belt that operates the water and oil pumps, plus camshafts. The water pump bearing could be bad.

If your up to it. Use a section of hose as a stethoscope to narrow down the location of noise.

Hey. I lifted the hood and it is coming from the passenger side....I actually got my pulley system changed a few months ago....I will post tomorrow what the shop tells me about the car. Thsnks.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho

ok so I took the car to tread quarters. They told me that one of the radiator fans was loose and one of my hoses was leaking fluid....459 dollars later the job to fix the problem was done.....oh yeah and I found a nail in my tire so had to get that repaired.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back.

The problem is now fixed?

Missed the radiator fan as a possible issue. They should be off when the engine is cold unless the A/C is on. The fan motor bearings can fail, resulting in the fan hitting something.

Hoses go bad with age. Keep an eye on the coolant level of the reservoir tank. If needed to keep adding coolant, there is a leak.