Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Sights n Sounds (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-23/)
-   -   Sound coming from rear right tire (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-23/sound-coming-rear-right-tire-3601/)

matthewg 04-16-2008 08:49 PM

Sound coming from rear right tire

I noticed a sound coming out of my right rear tire. It sounds like something squeeking. It is not my hub cap. It happens only when the tire is spinning, and it does speed up depending on the speed I'm going. At about 30mph I can hear it pretty good after a long drive. I took my car in to get looked at, they said it was the struts. I replaced rear struts. Afterwards they told me that when they were doing the alignment, they noticed something wrong with my right rear tire. It didn't click at the time that that's where the sound is coming from. $600 later, I still have the sound. I take it back, point to the tire in the alignment reminding him that that's where the sound is coming from ... he says he had them "redo the struts because they were loose" ... in my mind I'm thinking, "if they were loose and that's what's causing the noise, then why didn't you just tighten up the original struts?" ... so I take the car, it seems ok. After a 20 mile drrive on the freeway a few days later I could hear this noise again. I went to take it back, told them I still have the sound. I drove it with the mechanic, no sound... err. I asked if they could look at the right rear tire to tell me what it is. They said I need a right rear strut rod and spindle. They said the part costs about $700, and $150 to install... they said if I get it from a junk yard they'll just install it. As of right now, I still have this sound only AFTER a long drive on a freeway. They said my strut rod is bent a little... and said that driving it on the freeway would aggreviate it. I'm debating getting a strut rod and spindle from a junker, taking it to them, complain that I still hear the noise and try to get them to install it for free. I was also thinking about taking it to them AFTER a 20 mile drive so they could see what I'm talking about. This is extremely frustrated for me because I hate making mistakes and I feel like they misdiagnosed the problem and should do something about it.

I have a '94 camry, good condition... it has been taken care of. 232000 miles. Mostly commuting. The rear struts that were replaced were the original. I'm a college student trying to not spend out hundreds when I don't need to :) Which is reasonable. Thoughts?

toyomoho 04-17-2008 12:31 PM

RE: Sound coming from rear right tire

Somewhat confused.

If you are attempting to save money then pickup a low cost Haynes service manual on this car (under $20). You will be able determine what parts do whatand where they are located.

It sounds like the mechanic was guessing at the problem.

Is the noise a squeal, click or both?

When you state struts, do your mean the strut that has the shock absorber with it, the item with the large coil spring? Did the shop replace both of these struts and did it eliminate or change the noise? I don’t think the struts were the problem.

The strut rod connects the suspension knuckle to the frame. It extends from the area of the wheel forward and attaches to the cars frame. If you want to investigate on your on. Remove the tires making sure the body is secured on the blocks or a jack stands. Then look at this rod and compare it the other side to determine if it bent. A bent strut rod may cause the tire to have unusual wear as the tire is now rotated a little bit inward at the front.

Any unusually wear on this tire? Doubt if it would cause a sound in sync with tire. Did you hit a curb with the rear of the car? Typically it takes hitting something to bend the rod.

The “spindle” rides in a wheel bearing that can make a noise. The shop should be able to check for spindle wobbling with an indicator.

If you can, drive the car until the noise becomes the loudest. Then stop the car jack up the tire on the side making the noise and rotate it. See if the noise is still there. Grab the tire at 3 and 9 o’clock and give it good push pull to check for looseness.

If the noise is in sync with tire rotation it would seem to be tied to something such as a wheel bearing, dragging brake (does the car have rear disk or drum brakes?), a bent splash shield, etc.

The hub where the tire bolts on is pressed into the axle bearing (the hub is really the spindle here). The bearing is contained in a housing that bolts to the suspension knuckle.

As to replacement parts a junkyard would have the strut rod, make sure the rod matches the one in your car as they may have changed from year to year. The other source may be the dealer but they would charge a lot more for the part.

When are pulling the rod off you can also remove the complete suspension knuckle, which contains the hub, axle bearing and mount. The shop can remove the hub and bearing housing and replace it with the one on your car.

Or you can try online parts sources such as www.rockauto.com, or your local auto parts store.
First find out exactly what parts the shop needs.

Deleted User 04-18-2008 01:15 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

halstonreddy 03-11-2011 06:14 AM

My rear tires are wearing fast in the center of the tire, more so on the left tire than the right one. The first thing I checked was the pressure, which was at normal range (30). I rotated my tires, moving the front tires to the back.

alexanderc 03-11-2011 07:38 AM

they definitely should do something about it. If you wanted that noise fixed, and they said they fixed it, it's on them until it is fixed

toyomoho 03-11-2011 08:35 PM

Front or back tires, how many miles on the tires?

shinetyler 04-06-2011 03:24 AM

Then stop the car jack up the tire on the side making the noise and rotate it. See if the noise is still there. Grab the tire at 3 and 9 o’clock and give it good push pull to check for looseness.

full house 04-14-2011 09:25 PM

sometimes, whenever we wanted to save money it turns out the over way... you need to look at the quality and not the price...I guess you should start over to solve the problem.

AnnHaley 06-27-2011 01:35 AM

op's a dumbass shoulda bought a honda not a fine tuned vehicle like the almighty Camry!!!

full house 07-11-2011 08:30 PM

hmmm!!! Good point there... :)