Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here.

First generation 1986 Camry sound system

Old 10-21-2018, 02:22 AM
Default First generation 1986 Camry sound system

I have the original system in my car. It’s a am/fm radio with cassette and equalizer. The system sounds like the treble is too high. And has a buzzy inaudible noise behind the middle of the instrument panel. I traced the buzz to a box under the foot vents at the middle hump on the floorboard. Is that a subwoofer? It looks like it has cooling fins on the sides of the box. I was wondering if I would be able to replace that speaker and how does the box come out from underneath the dash?

Old 10-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure its the original factory stereo? The original had 4 speakers, 2 in the front and 2 in the back.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are you sure its the original factory stereo? The original had 4 speakers, 2 in the front and 2 in the back.
Yeah I was finally able to pull it out. It’s in a box with its own amplifier. When installed the speaker grill faces down. The wiring and connection is original to the car and it’s got 2 screws on one end of the box metal bracket and slides into a clip on the other. The name on the stereo is Technics and has the equalizer with it. I guess the speaker provides pretty deep base tones. It’s 4 inches in diameter but cone and magnet is heavier built than the other 4 speakers

Last edited by REStearns63; 10-21-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 AM
Default Subwoofer factory installed

I was wondering if they still make a subwoofer speaker for my 1986 Camry. It’s 4 inches diameter x around 2 inches tall. The magnet is 3 inches diameter and half inch thick

Old 10-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

The wiring diagram shows four speakers, two front, two back. No sub-woofer, tweeters, etc.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM

The wiring diagram shows four speakers, two front, two back. No sub-woofer, tweeters, etc.
I wonder if it’s a dealer upgrade then. My sound system sounds terrible without it because there is no base tone. The radio is original to the car unless Technics was never installed in a Camry. I tried to increase the low frequency on the equalizer but it won’t produce any low tone at all. Sorry for the trouble

Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Default The subwoofer for my 1986 Camry

this is the subwoofer that I pulled from behind the instrument panel. Don’t know why there’s no schematic for it

Top of subwoofer

This side faces the floor

Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

How does this bass speaker install? Is it a bolt-on box with a plug-in wiring harness? Or something that appears to have been adapted to the car and spliced into the wiring?

Have you tried researching the manufacturer to find more info?

Old 10-25-2018, 04:31 PM

How does this bass speaker install? Is it a bolt-on box with a plug-in wiring harness? Or something that appears to have been adapted to the car and spliced into the wiring?

Have you tried researching the manufacturer to find more info?
It’s bolted on to the original instrument panel frame and it clips onto the firewall in back. It has no wire splicing at all just the original harness connector. The box attaches under the floor heater outlets. I can’t find any information from the manufacturer other than saying in 1985-86 there was a stereo upgrade. I installed a new 4 inch subwoofer speaker in it and now have a good bass low end to the sound. It’s strange though because now I can hear the bass throughout the interior of the car and not where the box is installed. It is installed with the speaker facing very close to the floor almost touching it.

Last edited by REStearns63; 10-25-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Default This is the label on the box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First generation 1986 Camry sound system