Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2003 Camry 4th set tires & only 86k miles! Anybody else with this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Default 2003 Camry 4th set tires & only 86k miles! Anybody else with this problem???

I am totalllllly happy with my '03 Camry LE EXCEPT for the fact that I am going thru tires like water!! Is anyone else having this problem. I just took my car in for a PRE-TRIP check and was informed that I need tires AGAIN. This set of michelins got 29k before going baldish. The last set got 19k, the set prior to that got 20k. I am very concerned that the problem may not be the tires (since they have been different types of michelin tires) but may be something wrong with the factory suspension of my baby car!! I am at wits end trying to come up with allllllll the money that it is taking just to keep tires on this year car. If anyone else is having troubles with their '03 Camry and EXCESSIVE TIRE WEAR please help me out and tell me what to do. I would REALLLLLLLLLY appreciate more info. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Default RE: 2003 Camry 4th set tires & only 86k miles! Anybody else with this problem???

where are the wear points? what kind of tires are you using? treadwear? diving style? ever rotate them? roads?

if ur case is just the tires wearing out- then you should definetly get the extended tire warranty and show them that the tires burnt out much faster than whats listed. OR .. you can take it straight to the company itself.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Default RE: 2003 Camry 4th set tires & only 86k miles! Anybody else with this problem???

All 4 tires? Just front? Just rear?

Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 AM

There's a lot of factors... It depends on what kind of tires you have. Sometimes your more expensive tires are a softer rubber to grip the road better to provide better traction. This means that they're gonna wear out faster. You can have a tire that's harder rubber and lasts forever, but you'll lose traction and it'll be a much bumpier ride.

Another cause could be poor alignment. Have you had that checked? Camry's seem to do well at holding their alignment (compared to other vehicles... like Ford *shudder*), but they do still need an alignment every now and then. I can't say what the recommended mileage is for an alignment, but I usually get mine done every 30K.

Check outConsumer Reports for the best tires to get for your vehicle. It's a subscription but it's well worth the price.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Hey there. Here is what I know and what has happened. The tread wear is 1/32nd on the inside and on the outside is 1/43rds. All of the tires are the same wear. I bought the tires from my Toyota dealership - and they are also the only ones that take care of my care from top to bottom. They see my car about every 8 to 9 weeks for maintenance and also take care of anything having to do with my tires. I purchased this set in March 06 and they have 29,100 miles on them as of 3 days ago. The tires are Michelin Pilot XGTH4 P205/65 R15 92H M+S. These are supposed to be 85,000 mile tires. The last set were Michelin Harmonys 75,000 mile tires. I did take about 5 long road trips on this set this past year. I use my cruise control alot. I do drive about 5 to 8 miles over the posted speed limit. I live about 6 miles on secondary roads, in the country, off the main 4-lane (freeway). My driveway is gravel and about 400 yards long. I work 25 min away from home one way and except for the 6 miles to the 4-lane - it is all just a straight shot - literally. My Camry is a 5-speed w/cruise. I am somewhat of an aggressive driver. I get in and want to get to where I am going - no dilly/dallying. I do want a smooth ride BUT I realllllllly need my tires to last more than 18months!!! I just can't afford $550.00 in new tires every year!! Which is what has happened for the last 3 years - LITERALLLLLLLY!!!! The people at Toyota maintenance say that this is not a car problem that it is my driving habits. Welllll, I find this hard to believe when I also have a Mazda and all I have ever used since the mid '70s is Michelin and the tires on the Mazda have 81,000 miles on them and there is still some tread left. My Toyota truck also has Michelin and it has 67,700 miles on it and they still look good and then there is my Camry that has gone thru 3 sets and I haven't even gotten to 87K in miles on it yet. I drive the Camry primarily and then the Mazda and then the truck once in awhile. All of my other cars in the past have been Mazda's and I always used Michelins and I have NEVER had this problem with excessive wear on any of my cars past or present EXCEPT my '03 Camry. I have to decide which tires to get next in the next few days because I am driving from Mississippi to Northern California next Thursday and these tires WILL NOT make it. I hope this is enough info to help you out with the help that I need!! Thank you.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Perhaps you should by yourself another Mazda and be done with it...........

Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 PM

have your alignment checked, recommend running tire pressures recommended by the tire company

Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 PM

Sense there all wearing evenly this is a good sign. As stated before the type of tire can be the culprit. Some tires are softer than others and wear out quickly and offer the best traction. Theres also other things amoung others. The driving habits, road condition, alignment, suspension, tire pressures. As well as tire rotations and balancing.I check my tires once a week for air pressures. This doesnt only indicate if one is low but also points out potential problems. It doesnt go low for no reason usually. A nail or screw perhaps. This would cause a tire to wear quicker.

Id suggest tring a different brand of tire maybe.Something with a higher tread wear. Most shops will know what your talking about.Treadwear measures the tires treadwear by the quailty of the rubber. The higher the treadwear the better resulting in less wear with a harder compound tire. The ride quality should remain the same. The lower the treadwear the quicker a tire wears usually reffered as a softer tire with better traction. This can be found on the side of a tire. Go around to a couple of tire shops and get prices. Also see whos willing to take the time to listen to you and help you rather than just take your money like a dealership

Ive also noticed on my camry that the tires wear kinda quickly. Ive only had one set the past 40k. I have yokohamas with 3 plugs in one tire and 2 in another. I guess its a matter of when it will blow rather than if it will. But i have a full size spare that makes me less prone to buy a new set. Afterall i get no shimmy or shake. Another 20k would be pushing my luck. But i think the culprit is a soft factory suspenion on the Le model that offers a more comfortable ride resulting in softer suspenion and quicker tire wear. Im use to a celica. I rather pay for tires than feel the ride of a celica agian. I can suggest a site www.tirerack.com they have plenty of tire information for the consumer to read and learn.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 PM

The original Bridgestones on our 2003 Camry were bald at 22,000 miles. We put Michelin Pilots on and never rotated them or checked the pressure or anything. That was 4 years ago. It has 74,000 miles on it now (52,000 on the Pilots) and the back ones are still in great shape. The front ones are getting a bit thin.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:54 PM

I got Michelin x radials and they last and last. The guy wanted to sell me some BF goodrich but it had a more aggressive tread patternand he saidthey would be better in the snow.but I realized that aless aggresive tread will last longer. Also, I wanted the x radials because they were quiet on the highway but may not be as good in the snow as something meatier (my tires were balled before and I never had problems in the snow).

Also check all you bushings, ball joints, tierod ends and struts. Sometime alignments may not be reflect what the car is going to do on the road or under power.

Quick Reply: 2003 Camry 4th set tires & only 86k miles! Anybody else with this problem???