Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   2010 Camry xle 4cylinder ? about tires (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/2010-camry-xle-4cylinder-about-tires-44953/)

hardyrxp 03-27-2013 10:59 PM

2010 Camry xle 4cylinder ? about tires

Hello to all,
1st off if this is posted in the wrong section please let me know sorry in advance. I have a unique question for you guys and need some help and expertise here.
Here are the facts the car is 2010 Camry xle 4 cylinder.
The original tires were Michelin (can't remember the model) and we got 47k miles out of them. When we put new tires on the car we notice a significant drop in gas mileage. I am perplexed here as I don't understand how this could happen or what could cause this. My question(s) are how much difference can a tire brand make on the gas mileage? Keep in mind the tires are the same factory size 215/60 r16 just a different brand. Nexen N5000 is the brand that we put on the car now. Those Tires had great reviews and are all weather tires.
My other question is have you guys ever heard of a tire brand to make that much difference on the gas mileage of a car? If so please indulge me as to how this could happen?
I have other cars and have put several different brands/tires on the cars and I have never experienced this problem or drop in gas mileage... Please help and indulge/explain to me as I don't understand thanks in advance.
Dave

toyomoho 03-28-2013 12:08 PM

How much of a drop on MPG?

Have you checked tire pressure?

Tires are a science unto themselves and I am not an expert.

Not all tires are equal. Beyond the usual all weather, summer or snow tires categories there are performance, high speed, comfort, low noise, improved MPG tires and more. Each tire may not only have a different tread design but made of different materials and have a different internal design.

Tires that work great on one make/model may not work so great on another. Plus road conditions can be better for one tire then another, new or old tires can make a difference, etc.

Tires have a rolling resistance spec which provides some guidance, some websites such as Tire Rack have stats on this for popular tires but I can't find it for these tires.

If all other factors check out such as tire pressure and no other issues with the car, then it is possible MPG could drop perhaps as much as 6 mpg.

As to what to do about it now check tire pressure and perhaps increase it to say 34 psi. Of course check the tire side wall first to determine the maximum safe pressure (cold). Make sure the cars wheel alignment is OK but doubt this is problem.

You can complain and have another brand put on. Owners have found some tires are just not what they want and buy something else.

When doing research suggest in addition to reading user reviews try to find owners having the same model car in about the same year range.

You might voice your questions at the Toyotanation website having more members driving Camry. The site has a Tire Rack forum dealing with tires in addition to a section for the year range and model your car. Perhaps others have used this brand of tire and can provide more info.

There are other sites such as cleanmpg.com dealing with obtaining maximum MPG whose members might be better able to explain tire MPG issues. Or try TireRack.com, I noticed the site does not sell Nexen but they still may provide input on why these tires seem to be decreasing MPG.

I tend to stick to what I know in terms of brands when tire buying as this avoids tire buying surprises.

hardyrxp 03-28-2013 01:04 PM

Thanks for getting back to me & giving me more info. Good to hear from u Joey u have helped me in the past I appreciate it much. Yes the tires are at the correct factory pressure of 34. I think I am noticing g such a difference b/c the old tires were so bald. Well I guess u get what u pay for. .....