Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   2011 Camry with new brakes, but noise persists.. (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/2011-camry-new-brakes-but-noise-persists-52281/)

resiliens 05-19-2018 03:11 PM

2011 Camry with new brakes, but noise persists..

I've shown my car to 3 different mechanics and none of them can figure out why the following problem is happening. The first one thought it was a brake issue and replaced the pads, but the problem persists.

The front right wheel starts making screeching sounds after about 5-10 minutes of driving. It happens while driving without applying the brakes and sometimes even while braking. Noise occurs at pretty much all speeds and I noticed that what triggers the noise during the first few minutes of driving is usually when I make a turn like a sharp left or right turn.

I've been going crazy trying to figure out what the issue is and am hoping the community here can shed some light. I had a previous issue where I thought oil was leaking from the bottom but some members here correctly pointed out that it was most likely just snow melting off the bottom of the car.

Thanks folks!

toyomoho 05-19-2018 07:11 PM

Any difference in noise when applying the brakes?

resiliens 05-20-2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 98161)
Any difference in noise when applying the brakes?

Nope, noise sounds the same to me..

toyomoho 05-20-2018 10:18 PM

Sharp turns can exacerbate CV joint problems. Check right outer CV joint.

Could also be the axle carrier bearing or wheel bearing.

If the brake splash shield is bent, it can contact the rotor and make a squealing noise.

resiliens 06-07-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 98167)
Sharp turns can exacerbate CV joint problems. Check right outer CV joint.

Could also be the axle carrier bearing or wheel bearing.

If the brake splash shield is bent, it can contact the rotor and make a squealing noise.

I took it back to the mechanic; he's now saying that the problem is likely the calipers and/or the hosing, but I'm finding it hard to trust his judgement at this point. I'd rather not dish out another $200-300, so I'm first going to check if the splash shield is the problem. Hopefully that's the case and I don't need to dish out any more money on this.

Thanks for the suggestions btw. It's been a big help!

toyomoho 06-09-2018 01:55 PM

Suppose the brake could be dragging. However it would make the same screeching noise when applying the brake as when dragging.

Did the mechanic apply brake pad lube? High temp grease that goes between the pad and shims (thin steel plates), plus applied at the pad contact points with housing.

The grease dampens brake squeal.

Some pads squeal more then others. In future might stick to Toyota brand. More expensive but don't squeal.