Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

95 Camry Rear Strut Mount issues!! Need advice on Jerry Rigging!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Exclamation 95 Camry Rear Strut Mount issues!! Need advice on Jerry Rigging!

I have an 95 Camry of course my rear suspension is making terrible noises over any tiny little bump in the road!! I took it in the shop they concluded from my opinion that it was the strut mounts are worn causing the rod to beat on the metal body. Well I do not feel like spending over $800 to fix this issue with new mounts and struts. That cost more than the car is worth having over 200k on the car. So I thought of a plan to find a way to spray a foam in there to alloy the strut rod to beat on the foam instead of the body. Any thoughts?? Will this work without taking my suspension apart. I am also considering replacing my sway bar bushings easy cheap fix. HELP PLEASE.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

The upper strut mounts are under the rear deck tray (place where high rear mounted stop light is). Look at the upper strut area to determine approximately where it would be on the left and right side of the tray. Have someone drive the car over bumps while you listen to these areas and determine best you can if the noise is just under then tray or under the chassis (sway bar bushings, etc).

The upper mounts have a rubber insert that can degrade over time. The knocking most likely not the upper strut rod banging against the chassis but banging against the outer part of the mount.

Your symptoms also fit worn sway bar bushings (much more common) sway bar end links (less common) and the end bushings for the suspension links that tie the axle knuckle to the chassis.

A worn sway bar bushing can make a LOT of noise over bumps but not be damaging the chassis.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM

I am looking for a way to Jerry rigg this up so I dont have to spend much money to fix this issue. Its just an worn out old work car. Any input to shim up that strut rod so it will prevent to banging against my chassis without taking apart my rear suspension??? Thanks for you input!!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the front strut mounts, this is how the rear ones are constructed less a thrust bearing to allow the front strut to rotate (turn the wheels).

Unless the strut is badly damaged I doubt it is banging against the chassis but banging against outer portion of the mount. These portion would be replaced if a new mount was installed.

If it is the strut mount not sure what you can do. Access is only from the top as going from the bottom would be very difficult.

Run the noise test first, it may not be the mounts.

If it is the mounts, they can be replaced without replacing the struts. However the strut assy needs to be taken apart.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM

Well Joey thanks for the advice. I just trying to think of alternative ideas instead of taking the strut assembly apart if thats the true issue. I have done this job before and its not fun! I really dont think this car is worth the time nor money to fix this noise properly. Thanks again!