Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   Brake calipers sticking (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/brake-calipers-sticking-51775/)

sevencrows 08-27-2017 09:40 AM

Brake calipers sticking

I'm not a mechanic, but I can usually change front brake pads without too much problem. Yesterday, I set out to change pads & rotors on my 1998 Camry (hope its info is included). Driver's side went well, but I could not separate the calipers on the passenger side enough to fit on the new rotor. I opened the valve and pushed the piston back almost flush, but the fixed part on the opposite side will not move. I know I'm not using the right terminology here, but calipers on previous cars I've owned have always been willing to slide back & forth which allows the outer pad to flush with the fixed part so that the rotor slides in easily. This one appears to be stuck.

Do I take the calipers off the car & put in in a vice to break it loose?

I feel like I'm missing something here and would appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
seven

toyomoho 08-27-2017 12:41 PM

The sliding pins may be stuck. The caliper (retains pads) moves on the sliding pins.

Unbolt the caliper from the torque plate (bolted to steering knuckle).

Then determine if the sliding pins are free. If not, remove and clean them. Then lube with brake grease such as Sil-Glyde.

sevencrows 08-27-2017 12:56 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Should I do this with the hose attached or take the calipers off completely? If I take the hose off, am I risking getting more air in the line & wheel cylinder than I can bleed out?

Thanks again,
seven

sevencrows 08-27-2017 01:06 PM

Also, how important is it to put the 2 v-shaped springs back on that attach to the backside of the pads?

Thanks,
seven

toyomoho 08-27-2017 01:56 PM

Leave hose on. Use wire, rope, string, etc to retain the caliper and keep it from straining the hose if it was allowed to dangle from said hose. Removing the caliper should not be a problem.

Once removed, DO NOT apply the brake of the piston will pop out.

Removing the sliding pin(s) may be a problem if stuck. The pin heads have a built-in nut. Use a box wrench or socket to try to rotate the pin. The pin should be loose (not threaded) thus don't apply too much force and possible break it off.

If stuck, use the various methods available to free a stuck pin in a hole. The internet has lots of posts. The torque plate can be unbolted from the steering knuckle to allow easier working.

Replace any removed parts. The springs are there to keep the pads from moving around and to prevent noise.

Take photos before removing parts for reference in putting them back on or reference the brake on the other side.

sevencrows 08-27-2017 09:56 PM

I'll give it a try.
Thanks again.