Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   Brake lights come on randomly (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/brake-lights-come-randomly-2395/)

xtinxkanx 09-10-2007 01:30 PM

Brake lights come on randomly

Hello,
Have a little problem here. On a regular drive and from time to time, the hand brake light turns on and then if I stop completely, it turns off. Not quite sure what could be causing the problems. I did try to pull the hand brake up and releasing it while I am still in motion; However that did not do the trick.
I believe it turns on more frequently when I do make a turn.

Any ideas?

I have a 2000 Camry LE

toyoboy 09-22-2007 12:10 AM

RE: Brake lights come on randomly

check your brake fluid...better yet have your brakes inspected....you mit have and fluid or need brake service..

cody2979 07-26-2008 12:00 AM

I have the exact same problem on my aunts car. Any suggestions. It is not the fluid level sensor or the hand brake.

toyomoho 07-26-2008 12:03 PM

What year of car?

SVThound 09-23-2008 07:49 PM

I just bought a 98 camry LE 4cyl. The hand brake light was on when I bought it. I took it to a brake shop and found out that I needed new front brakes. They replaced the rotors, pads, flushed the system and cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes. The light isn't on anymore and it's been a week. I believe that the light comes on when your brakes need servicing. I paid 350 for the work I described above.

toyomoho 09-23-2008 10:41 PM

The 2000 and 1998 do not have systems to monitor brake wear other then the squeal tabs on the pads.

If the parking brake light is on, the issue is the fluid level, its switch, the parking brake switch or wiring.

taimgxe 10-17-2008 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: toyomoho

The 2000 and 1998 do not have systems to monitor brake wear other then the squeal tabs on the pads.

If the parking brake light is on, the issue is the fluid level, its switch, the parking brake switch or wiring.

I am having the same issue on my 2000 Camry. Where would I find the parking brake switch or wiring?

toyomoho 10-17-2008 08:35 PM

The brake fluid cap has a float on a rod. The float moves up and down with the level of fluid. There are wires running to the cap. Move the float by hand fully up and and determine if the light goes out. If not, disconnect the wires and look again.

On the E-brake, if the handle type remove the cover around the lower part of the handle to access the switch. If the foot type look under the dash an up at the top of the brake mechanism for the switch.

The brake light switch position could just need adjustment or th switch could be bad. Again you can disconnect the wires to the switch.