Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   Breaks pads making a snapping sound when driving in reverse (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/breaks-pads-making-snapping-sound-when-driving-reverse-50747/)

LBMelendres 12-29-2015 07:05 AM

Breaks pads making a snapping sound when driving in reverse

Why am I told this is normal?
Does anyone have this problem?
2015 se
Taking it in today or soon.

toyomoho 12-29-2015 08:22 PM

Snapping noise and snap, snap, snap or just one snap when moving from forward to reverse?

LBMelendres 12-29-2015 08:30 PM

I hear three snaps more often than one only in reverse. (from forward to reverse or just from park to reverse).

toyomoho 12-30-2015 02:42 PM

Could the brake pads are shifting in their holders when changing direction and then braking.

Try moving forward and stopping. Then moving in reverse with as little or no braking and check for same noises.

LBMelendres 01-05-2016 12:39 AM

Thanks...i think the brake pads are shifting or doing something to make that noise. I did what you said and the snapping or clicking continues. It's definitely a snap then two snaps after, or two then one. But it's always three snaps. When I went to Toyota they said this was a common complaint for this car and said there was nothing wrong. The explanation they gave me didn't make sense and it looked like they didn't want to fix it. I'll call again because I don't remember what their explanation was. But I remember being super confused about it.

LBMelendres 02-14-2016 08:44 PM

So you are correct in the brake pads shifting from their holder. Apparently this is normal and these are new model brakes. I noticed the advantage in this because I go down hills often and man it's a steep grade. I have to put it in 2nd gear but my rpms never go over 3 even at close to 40 miles an hour. I hate riding my brakes, so I keep it in 2nd and qbrake still more than j want. This car bullets down hills, but I know how to drive this car. Any other car, the rotors would have already been warped. My brakes still feel new, but I hate the reverse snap. Apparently the new design is suppose to make braking smoother and the brake pads last longer. The only down fall is you got that snapping noise. It seems as though I am the only one who has this issue.

toyomoho 02-15-2016 03:58 PM

Are these Toyota brand pads?

LBMelendres 02-15-2016 05:53 PM

Yes.... All stock

LBMelendres 02-15-2016 06:07 PM

The headlight bulbs aren't stock. SE's should have at least the 5k white. Anyway do you think something is wrong with my brakes? I had two consistent answers from two Toyota service reps. Personally I like the way they work but I don't know enough about brakes to make claims. Why when pads are closed in tight do they wear faster? And when there is room to move allows for smoother braking and a longer life.
I used to own a 2002 TLs which never bulleted down hills, but rotors were always in need of replacement. Thx for hearing me out. Peace

toyomoho 02-16-2016 11:37 AM

Various snapping, popping, etc. brake noises are common on this generation. You are not the first to complain. Normal and nothing wrong with the brakes.

The pads have a metal backing (a thick plate) which slides into a retainer that is bolted to the brake assy. For the pad to move in and out during braking there needs to be clearance between the backing plate and the retainer. This clearance allows the pad to also move forward or back slightly depending on the cars direction when braking.

There are various metal clips to retain the pad backing plate in the retainer that also serve to reduce brake pad vibration when braking (squeal).

The result is when shifting the cars direction and braking, noises can be made.

The antilock brake system can also make noises.

The pads do need to retract slightly when the brake is off. However there is no mechanism to pull the pad back from the rotor. When the brake is off, the pressure which forced the pad toward the rotor when braking is now zero and pad by its own releases but does not fully retract. There is always some pad contact with the rotor.

It can happen the mechanism that allows free movement of the pad binds resulting in a brake pad dragging. However on a new car this is not likely this issue is checked by any shop when doing a brake job.

As to bulleting down hill, the issue may actually be the transmission. Some auto transmissions free wheel when going down hill, others less so in this case resulting in a the engine acting as a load which will result in engine load braking. As experienced when driving a stick shift down hill where the engine places a load on the trans and drive train.