Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   clunking noise in front brakes (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/clunking-noise-front-brakes-46040/)

louhorkan 06-18-2013 02:10 PM

clunking noise in front brakes

Just changed front disk brakes on 97 camry during test drive i notices a clunking noise in front brake area when moving in reverse when I engaged brakes. it only happend once while in reverse before going forward. While going forward and engageing brakes I heard the clunking sound again but only once. Didnt happen again while going forward this time.Then put car in reverse and breaked again and heard the clunking again but only once while in reverse this time. Put car in forward and hit breaks and heare clunking sound again but only once while in reverse this time. This cycle continues. Dont know what I could have done to the breaks to cause this since changing brakes is pretty simple

toyomoho 06-18-2013 06:55 PM

Did you install all the clips, shims, etc? Are the pad packing plates the same size as old?

Could be the pads are shifting in the caliper when applying brakes after changing car direction.

mark garrett 03-13-2014 09:05 PM

wht was the solution, mine is doing it in reverse only.

Patonium 03-14-2014 12:30 AM

Mark, did you recently change your brakes? I would make sure that everything is tight first.

toyomoho 03-14-2014 09:36 AM

When the cars moves backward and the brakes are applied, the brakes pads may be shifting backward in the torque plate slots they are installed in.

Make sure all the original clips, shims, etc are installed if possible. Some aftermarket pads don't allow use of this items.

If this is the problem, your only issue is noise.

mark garrett 03-14-2014 01:50 PM

Just got the car bout 6 wks ago, 2012 36500 kmiles. Don't know anything bout the brakes.
Checked it in reverse last night, did it a lot. Was gonna have brake check look at it today, didn't do it this morn.. How long do the brakes usually last on a camry. Just got out of nissan & no brake problems til 90k.

mark garrett 03-14-2014 05:12 PM

Ok just got back from brake ck. since the noise came back at lunch. He said do everything, I said just clean & adjust since the hardware was dirty with build up. Plenty of pad left, just a little pitted. So far so good. Let u know if it comes back. Out less $19.

Patonium 03-15-2014 12:15 AM

Thanks for letting us know what is up. I hope that is all it was.

mark garrett 03-17-2014 09:29 PM

It's back. Had a friend listen to see which tire it was since brake ck only addressed the back. It is the front passenger wheel. My friend thanks the pens are riding on the calipers. He suggested DW-40 on the pens. Any thoughts?

Patonium 03-18-2014 12:47 AM

I wouldn't bother with WD 40 on this particular region. They make brake lube and it can be found at your local parts store. Usually when you get new brake pads there is a small packet of lube in the box. You then lube where the pads contact the caliper, usually on new shims.