Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

help with V rated vs H rated

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Default help with V rated vs H rated

I have been doing extensive research looking and reading reviews for tires for my CamryV6 07 XLE. The OEM tires which were Bridgestone didn't get 27,00 miles on them and need to be replaced. I wanted to get more milage out of the next set of tires. I was looking at H rated tires but the tire dealer in my area refuses to change from a V rated tire because he claimes you cannot put an H rated tire on a V rated car. He said you will change how the car drives, brake response, handeling ect. Is this true? What is the differance between thse two tire ratings? Will it change the way the car drives?

Vicki

Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

The tire letter refers to the maximum safe vehicle speed for the tire. H = 130 MPH, V = 149 MPH. Obviously unless one lives in Germany or a similar location where speed limits are high most drivers will never see speeds about 90 MPH.

The real issue is a higher speed rated tire typically has better handling performance. The tire tends to be softer (which may explain the tires short life) resulting in better road gripping, braking, etc.

Toyota may have picked this tire because it made the car handle better, and a better handling car may sell better. The resulting speed rating of the tire may not have been a factor.

By using H rated tires instead of V rated there may be some reduction of handling but doubt if it would be significant. The Camry is not a sports car.

One might claim that if the car was designed to use these types of tires it should continue to use them. But again doubt for everyday driving changing to an H rated tire would make that much difference. And as you note, OEM tire life was very limited.

This use of higher performance OEM tires (and thus higher speed rating) seems to have happened over the last few years.

More likely the tire dealer is concerned if lower speed rated tires are installed and you get into an accident they might be sued. Refusing to install lower speed rated tires is getting to be common these days.

I don't know of any US government law that specifically prevents using lower rated speed tires. However dealers can refuse to do business with you.

Consumers Reports state V rated tires had a shorter life but still lasted 48K miles thus there should be a V rated tire out there having a longer life. Life was about the same as H rated tires. S and T rated tires lasted about the longest at around 60K.

Thought someone else at this site posted in about this same issue.

You might ask this question at the Toyotanation website having a much larger audience and members whom encountered your same problem.

A Google search will turn up a host of posts on the issues that you encountering

These are just my opinions, other people may have their own.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for taking the time for such an informative response. It was really appreciatd and I will take your suggestion and look at Toyota nation. I was sure I could not be the only one with this issue.

Vicki

Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by vlapinta
I have been doing extensive research looking and reading reviews for tires for my CamryV6 07 XLE. The OEM tires which were Bridgestone didn't get 27,00 miles on them and need to be replaced. I wanted to get more milage out of the next set of tires. I was looking at H rated tires but the tire dealer in my area refuses to change from a V rated tire because he claimes you cannot put an H rated tire on a V rated car. He said you will change how the car drives, brake response, handeling ect. Is this true? What is the differance between thse two tire ratings? Will it change the way the car drives?

Vicki
when shopping for tires, look for mileage guarantees. if X tire can go 60,000 miles, but y tire can go 75,000 miles, obviously y tire will cost more, but go for it. proper tire inflation and regular tire rotations are paramount to long life. also, if you are the only driver of this car, you know your driving habits. however, if you allow your "significant other" to drive, especially when you are not the passenger, you have no idea how that person drives. many "significant others" tear up the car.

also, just check with another tire dealer. or at the very least, buy the tires you want, then have someone else mount and balance them, like your local repair garage you might be a regular of right now. also, your regular repair garage can get you what you want as well. you do have options.