Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

lowering my camry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Default lowering my camry?

so i got a 93 camry V6, 3.0. i want to lower it, what springs are good? what should i use? thanks!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: lowering my camry?

looking for a much improved handling with sacrafice in ride quality? coil over systems do the best job of that. they tend to be adjustable in either one or more ways so you can always achieve the look and even feel you want.

springs and struts...depends on how low you want to go.
you can get Eibach springs which are basically the same as TRD in height and quality.
For improved handling u can get tokico blue struts which will be stiffer than oem replacement KYB GR-2 struts.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Tein H.tech + KYB GR-2

Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

nah dude thats what im running.
too soft even with larger rims/lower profile tires.
heck i even have a rear sway upgrade. i may need the front! haha

too much body roll and pitch.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:58 AM

True.. but mine is a 4 banger- and its only good for looks. Haha! wish i had a 6 tho- then it'd be a different story. I have the h.techs+gr2+215/50.17 azenis tires -sooo its very very close to a stock ride. Next month, 10mm Kics spacers/TRD FSTB/RSB/5zigen exhaust. - then that's the end of that!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

ehhh v6 gives out issues...sludge and other issues.
my original v6 blew at 90K

yah im running 225/50/17's now with the H-techs and gr2.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 PM

But if you are on a hella low budged just cut the old springs a little bit. You'd have a bouncy ride but the car will look cool atleast.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 PM

You have several options depending on how much you want to spend:

1) Get a set of lowered springs and use the stock shockies. The shockies will not last as long as it's supposed to compared to if you are running normal height springs, but if they are in good nick, they will still last for some time before you need to change them.

2) If your car has travelled high kms, consider getting the springs and shocks at one go as this will save you on labour cost of replacing these items separately. Also check your strut mounts to see if they need replacing at the same time.

3) Go coilovers. I had them installed previously in my car, but because I am looking to change cars, I took them out. Coilovers are great because you can adjust the height and ride firmness. However, it might be too bumpy for a daily driver and if you live in an area where the road conditions are not that great, you will be getting your fair share of body and bum jitteriness everytime you drive your car. I had D2s on my car previously.

Also bear in mind that if you lower your car, you might also have to get a camber kit for the front wheels to keep the alignment proper. This is because when you lower the car, it changes the suspension geometry of the car.

I don't recommend that you cut your springs. Instead, get a set of lowered springs is best.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: nodrogkam

ehhh v6 gives out issues...sludge and other issues.
my original v6 blew at 90K

yah im running 225/50/17's now with the H-techs and gr2.
your v6 blew up at 90k?
my trans blew up at 21k and it was replaced under warranty and its been kickin strong ever since. my car now has 144k on it. its a 2000.
im lookin to lower my car and do the whole shabang.
what front sway bars are you guys running?
oh, by the way, im a 2000 v6 auto.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:21 PM

I am also in the process of "improving" the handling on my 1999 4cyl Camry. I have a set of TRD springs and Tokico struts ready to install, andwill also replace the strut mounts and spring insulatorsfront and rear. Any recommendations on alignment specs for "spirited" street driving?
Jim

Quick Reply: lowering my camry?