Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

monroe quick struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Default monroe quick struts

the ride is too harsh with monroe quick struts. and the height is now up too much. see photo I was looking to keep this car and put a bunch of money into it. ride is unacceptable. any ideas??

Attached Thumbnails monroe quick struts-100_0023.jpg  
Old 09-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Did you do your own work?

Old 09-02-2018, 02:55 PM

yes, why??

Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Cost of future repairs.

Monroe can raise the car around 1 inch. Try swapping the old Toyota springs with the Monroe's.

The Camry was not know for a soft ride but a feel every bump ride.

The Camry and Lexus ES300 share the same suspension, might look there for a softer ride strut.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:51 PM

guess I'm stuck with this ride. didn't save old springs because the forum said the quick struts were good choice for complete strut replacement.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

The Monroe's are a good choice.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 PM

today I will take a picture in better light and then you will be able to see just how high the back end sits. I have seen half a dozen camrys similar to mine. none are this high. it rides like a car that I had air shocks in long ago with too much air in. much harder than stock. I'm inquiring to moog about their standard coil springs to change these as I will not continue to drive this car as it is. I had the same problem with my wife's 96 avalon. Purchased cheap aftermarket complete struts for the rear and they were too stiff and high like these. that's why I purchased the brand name monroe. no blame to you Joey. I just can't seem to win. I replaced the right front strut myself, but my back is bad and all I could do was 1 strut. hired someone for 250 to do the remaining 3 struts. 600 total for 4 struts installed isnt too bad, but I thought that would have been the end of it. just can't seem to win. and the idiot broke the driver side abs sensor wire because he didn't unbolt the bracket that holds it in place. anyways it is what it is. I like the car and bought new floor mats and am in the process of painting slight paint damage (hood especially from chipping). then will respray the corrosion damaged alloy wheels after sandblasting. hopefully I will be able to remedy this problem and I will have a presentable camry for a couple more years. by the way, a stalling problem I had for a long time was fixed by installing new egr valve. Thought it was the idle air control valve. nope. maybe this can help someone in the future. it acted just like a bad iac valve. stalling coming to a stop. keeping the rpm's up kept it running. thanks for your help. john

Old 09-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Default struts

here is a closeup of height

Attached Thumbnails monroe quick struts-100_0024.jpg  
Old 09-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

That's pretty high!

The issue is Camry is not known for performance but for being a family car. The various name brand strut vendors like Moog, KYB, Gabriel, Monroe advertise an OEM ride, whatever that is.

There are better struts such as coil over's but they cost more.

Some owners praise one strut over another but have used various brand name struts on passenger cars and can't tell one from the other in terms ride. For struts I reuse the springs unless sagging as it's tough to beat an original factory part plus why toss a spring just to buy another one.

Quick struts are of course sold as a time saver in terms of not needing to take the strut assy apart.

Mechanic screw ups are one reason I do my own work. You not alone in running into this.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:54 PM

joe, how do I find original replacement springs for the rear. I contacted moog about my problem, awaiting response. also contacted an ebay seller for lexus spring and camry is listed as a fit. asked both companies if they would refund money if springs dont meet original specs. but, again, I don't want to be shipping springs back. struts with springs forget it, otherwise I would have returned these. I'm not being overly fussy. I have back and neck issues and the car ride is too harsh and could see it aggrivating my condition. joe, can you recommend an original spring for me? thanks, john

Quick Reply: monroe quick struts