Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   Quick strut reviews? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/quick-strut-reviews-45137/)

Sam Send 04-26-2013 01:12 PM

Quick strut reviews?

My struts need to be replaced and i was considering purchasing all in one quickstruts, maybe from Monroe's... does anyone have any insight on this product and its performance/ reliability? I'm a college student looking for the most cost effective way to restore my cars riding comfortability

97 camry LE 2.2L

toyomoho 04-26-2013 02:38 PM

Define most cost effective?

Are you going to be doing the work yourself and if so will you have access to spring compressor. If not you can rent one. DIY will save money on parts and labor. If all the other strut suspension parts are OK, you only need replace the strut which would be cheaper.

Are you trying to save every last dollar?

Monroe is one of several manufacturers who sell a complete strut assy. If doing the job yourself suggest buying parts online at sites such as below:

1997 TOYOTA CAMRY Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly

Monroe currently has rebates on struts and Quick-Struts. If you buy 4 Quick-Strut replacement assy's you can get a $120 debate card but the time period for purchase ends 4/30/13.

You might be able to save a few dollars buy only buying the struts and other parts you need.

Given this rebate offer, buying 4 Quick-Struts might be the best choice as tough to beat can't beat the per wheel price of around $86 plus shipping if you did the replacement yourself.

A shop will charge around $250 per wheel.

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloa...ate_US_WEB.pdf

Sam Send 04-26-2013 10:06 PM

I saw that you can purchase the all in one struts with a spring already on it? if that were the case itd be a pretty easy change out i think

toyomoho 04-27-2013 12:42 PM

Quick-Struts other all in-one-struts come with upper strut mount, strut bellow, bumper and spring. Given the upper strut mount and strut bellow can fail and need replacing this can add to the cost if just replacing the strut itself.

A Quick-Strut or other all in one unit also does not require taking the spring off, making the job easier.

If going this route inspect how the front and rear struts are installed and determine what tools you will need. There are a couple of large bolts holding the strut to the axle assy.

To access the upper rear strut mount requires taking out the rear deck. This requires taking out the rear seat, then pulling out the deck.

When removing the upper mounts take note as to how it is oriented. It can be rotated and as such bolted on in several different locations. There should be an arrow or verbiage on the mount stating outward as away from the engine compartment.

Mark DiSilvestro 09-12-2013 09:04 AM

I carry about 300 pounds in the trunk of my '96 LE sedan, and it also has a custom light duty trailer hitch, though I haven't towed anything with it yet.
I considered fitting Camry wagon springs in the rear. Since both rear struts were shot, I also asked some suppliers about the quick-struts.
When I asked about getting the springs and struts separately, I was told the struts are the same, but the springs are different for the sedan or wagon.
However, when I asked about the quick-struts, they all said it was the same part # for either body.
They couldn't tell me which spring is being sold with the quick-struts. I think that would be important if you need them for a sedan or wagon!

I wound up finding a good pair of rear wagon strut & spring units for $65, from my local salvage-yard. (about $350 less than new quick-struts)

The rear does sit about an inch or so higher and the ride is certainly stiffer, but not uncomfortable.
Otherwise, this car feels much more solid and stable on the highway, and the hitch doesn't scrape pavement over dips and driveways anymore.

Happy Motoring, Mark