Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

steering shake

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Default steering shake

Hi All,

I've camry 2008 got new tires couple of months ago plus done balancing & alignment but still my car's steering shakes when i drive between 80 to 100km/h

Waiting for reply

Suny

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Any steering shake when braking?

Try swapping the front and rear tires.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 AM

did you go cheap with the tires? because some cheap tires just don't do the trick, other than that I would rule out a balance and alignment problem, and I don't think you have "warped rotors" because that would be felt really on the breaking unless you really have bad rotors, if you do feel it braking let me know around what speed, or the pattern it follows, because what "warped rotors" are is really something called cementite (sp?) which is formed when you do any hard braking which causes a lot of heat and then you sit on the breaks permanently fuzzing part of your break pad to the rotor which can cause shaking/vibrating while braking and in bad cases shaking while driving at high speeds, but this would mean that you've done emergency breaking, or hard breaking and stayed on the brakes afterwords.

Another question to answer is if you had this problem PRIOR to the installation of the new tires and alignment? if so that could be a good place to start and definitely the cheapest, it would be as simple as replacing the rotors because you can't resurface "warped rotors" successfully.

The last options would be a bad dampener (but that typically would be felt at certain rpm's not really speed differences), or worst of all a out of balance crankshaft, but let's not even consider that since that is the least likely especially which your car being young still.

my best guess since it is only noticeable at certain speeds I would blame it on the actual terrain parts such as the tires them selves or rotors, I say this because all the others would be felt through the same rpm's in different gears therefore at lower speeds as well since at highway speeds you're going probably around 3000 rpm when cruising at 80 and that would easily be hit on surface streets. so get back to me

Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Any steering shake when braking?

Try swapping the front and rear tires.
Nop...rotors are okay!

Mechanic said i should not swap tires...i guess there's more bent on rear wheels.