Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Steering stiff and sticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps the hot water is allowing the grease to flow in the joints.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Luc

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Perhaps the hot water is allowing the grease to flow in the joints.
I don't know but it Works!

Old 02-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Default CAMRY STIFF STEERING...SIMPLE !....I would to thank HAZE as this procedure not only b

I am grateful for this information...which works !

When the steering starts to stick and not rebound the first thing you consider is the p. steering pump...or rack, etc. This procedure works and is a great thing to know.

I have no doubt that a lot of people have brought their cars to a shop and were advised that a power steering pump or other part was needed. While most Toyota techs might know about this service procedure -- a non-Toyota shop probably wouldn't.

Good work, Haze !

Originally Posted by haze
2003 Camry LE / 153,000 miles

Problem - Steering feels stiff and when you make a sharp turn it doesn't recenter, have to pull it back. Also seems a bit harder to turn it right than left.

History - Couple weeks back the serpentine belt broke and wife drove car home, about 10 miles. Engine overheated but seemed fine after I installed the new belt. She reported the steering was stiff a couple of days later (Not sure how bad it was, I didn't get a chance to drive it). Then the next day she said it was back to normal. Yesterday she brought it home saying it was stiff again, I drove it and found what I described above.

Checked PS fluid and it is to level and appears to be circulating in reservoir, no squealing from pump.

Lubed universal joints on steering shaft but no effect.

At this point I am assuming this is a bad steering rack, but would like some opinions and possible suggestions before I change it.

Thanks for any help.

Haze

Old 10-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Default Worked for me October 2019

Had the same issues as others stated when I was dropping my car off to get an oil change at my reputable shop. 2004 Avalon with 84K miles. Shop couldn't see anything right off the back and wanted to diagnosed it for $99. Found this forum, bought a can of Tri-Flow and sprayed the crap out of my u-joint. This forum just saved me hundreds. Thank you to all!

Old 02-24-2020, 04:09 PM

I had the same issues with the steering and created a profile just to thank all of you for the help.
I ended up using PB Blaster Chain Lube with Teflon because my local Ace Hardware didn't carry Tri-Flow
Anyways, it worked instantly and it feels like I'm driving a new car, the steering is so buttery smooth now!
Thanks again! Now I'm off to find out why my gas tank takes forever to fill up.
I took off the vent tube to see if it was clogged and it was clean as a whistle.