Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   Steering stiff and sticking (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/steering-stiff-sticking-18143/)

haze 03-05-2010 08:19 AM

Steering stiff and sticking

2003 Camry LE / 153,000 miles

Problem - Steering feels stiff and when you make a sharp turn it doesn't recenter, have to pull it back. Also seems a bit harder to turn it right than left.

History - Couple weeks back the serpentine belt broke and wife drove car home, about 10 miles. Engine overheated but seemed fine after I installed the new belt. She reported the steering was stiff a couple of days later (Not sure how bad it was, I didn't get a chance to drive it). Then the next day she said it was back to normal. Yesterday she brought it home saying it was stiff again, I drove it and found what I described above.

Checked PS fluid and it is to level and appears to be circulating in reservoir, no squealing from pump.

Lubed universal joints on steering shaft but no effect.

At this point I am assuming this is a bad steering rack, but would like some opinions and possible suggestions before I change it.

Thanks for any help.

Haze

toyomoho 03-05-2010 11:03 AM

If the broken belt also drove the PS pump try turning the steering wheel lock to lock a few times (engine running) to bleed any air out of the system.

haze 03-06-2010 02:18 PM

Update:

Flushed PS fluid,

Extended reservoir return with plastic tubing into bucket, and cranked steering side to side while filling reservoir until fluid was changed.

Then cranked engine to verify that pump was working, and topped off reservoir.

Steering seems better but still locks up a little in tight turn.

Possibly pump is worn and not providing sufficient pressure?

-

toyomoho 03-06-2010 11:03 PM

Might check the U-joint at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft for binding. You should be able to see this joint when looking on engine side of the firewall.

haze 05-04-2010 12:54 PM

Lubed and turned wheel and finally got it to lossen up.

Decided to change it so went to Toyota parts dept. The apparently not well informed guy working there tells he doesn't know, but thinks I may have to buy the entire steering column for hefty $700 dollar price tag.

Even though the Microfich is showing it as a seperate part.

So rather than continue with him I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know if the lower universal is seperate and replaceable?

haze 05-30-2010 10:37 PM

Found the right part at another Toyota dealer for only 286 dollars. Still a bit too high for my wallet just now.

Decided the WD-40 that got it loose wasn't adequate because it was stiffening back up after a few days.

Spent 7 bucks on a can of Tri-Flow lube with teflon and I am now a month without problem.

So far so good.

toyomoho 05-31-2010 10:21 AM

This is a common problem. Toyota apparently now recommends lubing the area instead of replacing the joint. Spray the material between the steering shaft and the rubber bushing at the bottom of the steering column tube.

WD-40 is mostly something like kerosene, as a long term lube it doesn't hold up. My try white lithium grease in a spray can that comes with a long tube such as WD-40.

haze 04-08-2011 06:52 PM

Update,

Been 8 months since spraying U-joint with Tri-flow lubicant.

Steering is still fine.

ausman79 08-30-2011 11:57 AM

how do i access the u-joing that you lubed?

I am new to this. Trying to help my dad with a '05 Camry that is also experiencing stiffness when turning. Figured that we can give this a shot before taking it to the mechanic. Can you please advise how you accessed the u-joint that seems to have resolved the issue for you? Thanks

haze 08-31-2011 06:29 AM

The Universal joint is located in the engine compartment, at the bottom of the steering column.

If you look in from the drivers side you will see the steering column exiting the fire wall, follow it down to the U-joint.

Just spray U-joint well with Tri-Flow Lube and then see if you have improvement.

Maybe take a few applications.

This is the type I used, let me know how you make out.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/atta...382b0add73.jpg

ausman79 09-01-2011 04:56 PM

I'm flying in to Jersey tomorrow so will give it a try. Will follow up with the results later. Thanks for the quick response haze.

Mike Logue 11-27-2011 01:04 AM

I'm hoping somebody that's had this experience & fixed it sees this, because I'm having the same problem right now and need to know how to find/get at the u joint on the steering rack. Thanks!

toyomoho 11-27-2011 10:59 AM

Look down inside the engine compartment where the steering column shaft would exit the passenger compartment through the firewall. You will see it.

tbalon 11-28-2011 07:01 PM

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the info on the steering problem. I was having the same problems on my 97 Camry. I tried several types of spray lubes, 10w-40, white lithium, pb blaster all with little or no help. I was starting to think I would have to replace the joint until I went on a mission to find the tri-flow with Teflon. Since none of the local parts stores carry tri-flow I went to the internet for help and found out that many bicycle enthusiasts swear by this as a great chain and sprocket lube. So I went to my local bike shop and sure enough they had it for sale. But at $10 for a small can I took a pass. I then went to Home Depot and found a spray lubricant with teflon. Can't remember what the name was just remember that it had teflon and it was only about $5 for a large can. I tried it out by soaking the joint and then turning the wheel and spraying the joint again from the other side. This worked great and has been good for about a month now. I think that the teflon must be the key ingredient to making the joint loosen up and stay that way.

Good luck to all others.

haze 10-28-2013 07:19 PM

Still going strong

I just checked this thread and realized it's been over 3 and a half years since I had the steering problem.

Steering is still working fine, and I probably haven't sprayed the u-joint in over a year!

I salute the lubricating power of TEFLON !!!

-

kwash703 07-17-2014 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 36154)
Might check the U-joint at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft for binding. You should be able to see this joint when looking on engine side of the firewall.

Just bought Camry 2011 XLE /37.500 Miles. *Toyota Used Certified Warranty*

When driving this first day everything ran very smooth and very light. After I took it to get State Inspections and Emissions, for the last couple days, the car has been feeling somewhat heavier. I ran it by the shop I went to and they test drove it and said it was fine. The steering seams to be a bit heavy no when I turn. The wheel does set back smoothly at all. The car doesn't seem to run as "light anymore" The wheel feels very heavy/dragging at times when steering from right to left.

I heard that spraying Tri-Flow lube with teflon on the Universal (U-Joint)/steering column will work wonders in making it smoother.

How do I locate the Universal joint for spray application in my camry? I'm not so much of a car part savy guy

Thank you! Any help appreciated!

Camrywheel 03-05-2016 04:47 PM

Teflon works

After reading this for same issue I noticed on my 04 Camry I took it to dealer and asked to lube with Teflon. And they sprayed but not sure if it was Teflon or something else as it did not help. I bought it and gave it a try before taking it back for repair and this thing works really well and quickly. Glad to have seen this. Thanks :)

Newcomer 01-17-2017 01:41 AM

I met same problem, how to locate the Universal joint?

My Camry run into same problem. Checked Power Steering liquid , it is OK. Belt and tires are fine.

Just wonder:
#1 How to verify if the pump working (for Power Steering liquid)
#2 How to locate the universal joint? can I touch it from Cockpit, or, do I need to open engineer lid to touch it?

Advice would be appreciated!

toyomoho 01-17-2017 01:06 PM

If the pumped failed, the steering would be very hard.

The link below provides information for 2003-2006 Camry and can help you find the joint on your car.

http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/...1322781266.pdf

Newcomer 02-24-2017 08:57 AM

Thanks for everyone for share the experience

I met the same situation and got it fixed. I would like to express sincere appreciation for everyone to share the experience.

I use a lubrication with Teflon in Homedepot, which works. forgot the brand name, but it can work under the temperature of minus 13, which make sense in the northern area.

toyomoho 02-24-2017 07:24 PM

Thanks for posting back with your good results.

ac0mputerguru 09-13-2017 12:50 PM

Brilliant!

I acquired a 2003 Camry in March of 2017. It's a good little car, but has it's quirks (like me). Last week, as I was driving home, I noticed the steering was a bit stiffer than usual. I searched online and VOILA! I had an answer. Took me a week to find/order the Tri-Flow (Ace WAS the place :D) and since the store is located in a "ritzier" local town, I decided not to mess with the car right then and there. Drove back home and was noticing all the things other people said, "...doesn't recentre after a turn...feels sluggish..." Pulled into the driveway, popped the hood, and proceeded to locate the u-joint. It's a ways down the firewall and there's no way the plastic tube was going to reach. Overcoming my OCD, I just sprayed the lube all over the joint, hitting some of the hoses and wires with overspray. Got in the car, cranked the steering full range a couple of times, then drove a few blocks to the bank, taking every turn I could along the way. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Almost completely recentred on turns and by the time I had driven the six blocks, it was almost like a brand new car.

Not being satisfied, I figured that I only hit one side of the u-joint, so I drove down to a local park, turned the steering wheel 180*, turned off the engine, and sprayed the other side. As I was getting back into the car, I remembered that the bottom of the steering shaft can need lubricated too (causes wheel chatter, which I had during the cold days of spring), so I hit that with Tri-Flow, as well.

Now, it drives just like a new car. I also hit the door and trunk locks, as well as the hood latch, so I should be set for a bit. Thanks again for the excellent info!

toyomoho 09-14-2017 10:41 AM

Great job.

Thanks for posting! This is a common issue.

Newcomer 01-03-2018 08:44 PM

Met problem! The tube of lubricating was dropped in the bottom of the engineer cabin

Met problem! The tube of lubricating was dropped in the bottom of the engineer cabin

I tried to lubricate it again, but, suddenly, the tube was lose then dropped in the bottom of the engineer cabin.

I can see it, but cannot reach it. I feel it would be better it get it out in order to avoid any potential risk.

Just wonder if there is any tool for this special situation?

Any advise would be very appreciated!

toyomoho 01-04-2018 12:08 PM

How about a long stick, or coat hanger or section of house wiring (Romex) bent to fit into the area. Try to move the tube off what it dropped onto and onto the ground.

Newcomer 01-04-2018 11:48 PM

Thank you very much for the advise

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 97021)
How about a long stick, or coat hanger or section of house wiring (Romex) bent to fit into the area. Try to move the tube off what it dropped onto and onto the ground.

Thank you very much for the advise.

I drover the car today. After back home, I open the hood try to look for the tube, but cannot find it any more.

May I assume it might drop off from the open space at bottom of the engineer cabin?

Just worry if it happens suck in any other joint.

toyomoho 01-05-2018 05:17 PM

Great?

ram99 01-27-2018 10:55 AM

Triflow (teflon based) fixed the stiff steering issue

I have a 2003 Camry with 127,000 miles. The steering was stiff and hard to turn. I sprayed Tri-flow as noted here. I turned the steering wheel completely to one end, applied the fluid at the universal joint and turned it again in the other direction and sprayed again at the joint to make sure it penetrates in between the joints. I took the car out and could feel significant improvement. I brought the car back and I repeated the same and drove the car and made right and left turns where sharp turns were needed and also made a couple of complete 360 degree turns in clock and counter clockwise directions in a safe area. The stiffness is completely gone! Thank you for sharing your experience.

toyomoho 01-27-2018 11:48 AM

Great job!

Thanks for posting with your experience.

Luc 05-06-2018 10:14 AM

I cleaned the u-joint by spraying it with hot water whole so

I fixer the problem by spraying the U-Joint with hot water from a garden hose while someone else was turning the wheel right and left (full rotations).
Worked fine for 6 months then got stiff again!
Took the hose and hot water out again, sprayed again, worked fine again... See you in 6 months.

toyomoho 05-06-2018 03:58 PM

Perhaps the hot water is allowing the grease to flow in the joints.

Luc 05-06-2018 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 98067)
Perhaps the hot water is allowing the grease to flow in the joints.

I don't know but it Works!

FRED.K 02-23-2019 02:49 PM

CAMRY STIFF STEERING...SIMPLE !....I would to thank HAZE as this procedure not only b

I am grateful for this information...which works !

When the steering starts to stick and not rebound the first thing you consider is the p. steering pump...or rack, etc. This procedure works and is a great thing to know.

I have no doubt that a lot of people have brought their cars to a shop and were advised that a power steering pump or other part was needed. While most Toyota techs might know about this service procedure -- a non-Toyota shop probably wouldn't.

Good work, Haze !

Originally Posted by haze (Post 36083)
2003 Camry LE / 153,000 miles

Problem - Steering feels stiff and when you make a sharp turn it doesn't recenter, have to pull it back. Also seems a bit harder to turn it right than left.

History - Couple weeks back the serpentine belt broke and wife drove car home, about 10 miles. Engine overheated but seemed fine after I installed the new belt. She reported the steering was stiff a couple of days later (Not sure how bad it was, I didn't get a chance to drive it). Then the next day she said it was back to normal. Yesterday she brought it home saying it was stiff again, I drove it and found what I described above.

Checked PS fluid and it is to level and appears to be circulating in reservoir, no squealing from pump.

Lubed universal joints on steering shaft but no effect.

At this point I am assuming this is a bad steering rack, but would like some opinions and possible suggestions before I change it.

Thanks for any help.

Haze

04Avalon 10-01-2019 03:36 PM

Worked for me October 2019

Had the same issues as others stated when I was dropping my car off to get an oil change at my reputable shop. 2004 Avalon with 84K miles. Shop couldn't see anything right off the back and wanted to diagnosed it for $99. Found this forum, bought a can of Tri-Flow and sprayed the crap out of my u-joint. This forum just saved me hundreds. Thank you to all!

gcliff23 02-24-2020 04:09 PM

I had the same issues with the steering and created a profile just to thank all of you for the help.
I ended up using PB Blaster Chain Lube with Teflon because my local Ace Hardware didn't carry Tri-Flow
Anyways, it worked instantly and it feels like I'm driving a new car, the steering is so buttery smooth now!
Thanks again! Now I'm off to find out why my gas tank takes forever to fill up.
I took off the vent tube to see if it was clogged and it was clean as a whistle.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cam...e5694affc7.png