Steering stiff and sticking - Page 4 - Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering stiff and sticking

Old 05-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps the hot water is allowing the grease to flow in the joints.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Luc

Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
Perhaps the hot water is allowing the grease to flow in the joints.
I don't know but it Works!

Old 02-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Default CAMRY STIFF STEERING...SIMPLE !....I would to thank HAZE as this procedure not only b

I am grateful for this information...which works !

When the steering starts to stick and not rebound the first thing you consider is the p. steering pump...or rack, etc. This procedure works and is a great thing to know.

I have no doubt that a lot of people have brought their cars to a shop and were advised that a power steering pump or other part was needed. While most Toyota techs might know about this service procedure -- a non-Toyota shop probably wouldn't.

Good work, Haze !

Originally Posted by haze View Post
2003 Camry LE / 153,000 miles

Problem - Steering feels stiff and when you make a sharp turn it doesn't recenter, have to pull it back. Also seems a bit harder to turn it right than left.

History - Couple weeks back the serpentine belt broke and wife drove car home, about 10 miles. Engine overheated but seemed fine after I installed the new belt. She reported the steering was stiff a couple of days later (Not sure how bad it was, I didn't get a chance to drive it). Then the next day she said it was back to normal. Yesterday she brought it home saying it was stiff again, I drove it and found what I described above.

Checked PS fluid and it is to level and appears to be circulating in reservoir, no squealing from pump.

Lubed universal joints on steering shaft but no effect.

At this point I am assuming this is a bad steering rack, but would like some opinions and possible suggestions before I change it.

Thanks for any help.

Haze