Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Sticking Rear Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Default Sticking Rear Brake

Hello, I'm new here and I have searched for an answer before posting this question (and I have introduced myself on the Introductions forum). My daughter's new-to-her 1995 Camry has the rear passenger wheel locked up. I was only able to take a look at it for a few minutes this afternoon. The vehicle was given to her by my brother-in-law after he purchased a new vehicle for his daughter to use. It has been sitting for a few months, prior to that it was running fine and had just passed NYS inspection.

I'm not new to working on cars at all.But I am new to Camry and a long time away from Toyota's in general (almost 30 years since my old Hi-Lux pickup! LOL!), and I have very limited time available to work on the vehicle, AND it's not on our property yet (about 8 miles away, close enough but still too far away to work on it in the dark). I don't know the problem or if it's typical or -- whatever. Might be the parking brake, or the parking brake cable, or the caliper, or --??? I'm just looking for a good, solid heads-upbeforehand so that I can get started off on the most likely track right from the beginning.Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

It also needs a new driver's door handle (the one on there now was a new replacement only 10 months ago), but I'll ask that over on the proper forum.

Thanks to all replies in advance,

- Tim

Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sticking Rear Brake

If a drum brake make sure the emergency brake cable to that brake is letting off tension when the emergency brake is off and that the emergency brake mechanism is working OK.

If OK, back of on the brake shoe adjustment to retract them and allow the drum to be removed.

Once off inspect everything, make sure the slave piston is not frozen, something has not broken and preventing the shoe from retracting. etc.

The drum brake setup is pretty conventional.