Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Struts and mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Default Struts and mount

My wife hasa 2000 Camry with only 74K miles and the front struts along with the strut mounts needs to be replaced. I was informed that if I get these replaced through Toyota there would be a lifetime warranty. I know my warranty has expired but I feel strongly that Toyota should replace these especially with the amount of miles on the vehicle. I have contacted the Corporate office requesting goodwill money to be applied but got denied so I'm awaiting to hear from their Management team. My question to you all is...how long should these parts last??? Is 8 years with 74K miles too premature to fail??? PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR INPUT

Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Struts and mount

How was the determination made that ALL 4 struts and mounts need replacement, this is not typical.

Do your own test. Doing one end at a time, push down on the front/rear of the car to get the chassis to oscillate then release. If its stops oscillating within 2 cycles the struts are OK.

The strut mounts can start to make noise over time, this is a known problem.

Have someone drive. When going over bumps listen knocking in the area outboard of the rear speakers that are mounted on the rear deck. The upper rear struts are mounted just outside the speakers.

Note: The front or rear sway bar bushings can also make a knocking noise when going over speed bumps, etc. Again this is typically. These parts are much easier to replace.

Not sure what you mean by having a life time warranty on this parts.

Unless Toyota is in a holiday season mood they will not provide warranty coverage on either part.

If the struts test OK, the mounts are not going to break, the will just continue to make noise.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM

The vehicle makes a squeeking noise everytime it goes over a bump only in the fronts and my local mechanic said that the front struts and mounts needs to bereplaced. Could itbe possible that only the mountsneed to be replaced?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

What reason did the shop state to replace all the struts? I ask because selling struts is a common method to generate income. I don't know your mechanic, thus don't be offended -but this happens all the time.

It is not typical for struts on this car to fail, they just wear out. They are not going to fail apart, etc. Typically a worn out strut DOES NOT make any noise.

A strut can leak oil (this is rare) yet a little oil dampness that collects dust located around the area where the strut comes out of the pistion is OK.

The mounts tend to knock, not squeak.

I highly recommend doing the strut test. Get the car oscillating and let go, if the body stops in under 2 cycles the struts are OK.

Squeaking could also be caused by the front sway bar bushings (common problem). The sway bar is located under the car and runs between both front steering knuckles. There are two bushings that attach the bar to the chassis.

Worn out bushings can make a squeaking AND knocking noise when going over bumps.

The noise could also be the end links that connect the bar to the knuckle.

You might be able to inspect the front upper strut mounts. Open the hood, find where the strut bolts to the chassis. The mount is under the chassis but a portion sticks out above the frame. You should be able to see the end of the strut rod coming out of the mount. Look for damage of the rubber material around the rod.

Have someone get the front of the car ocillating and watch for excess movement of the strut rod.

When driving if possible try to narrow down the location of the sound. The sway bar bushings are under the car. The mounts of course higher up.

It appears strange the mechanic states all 4 struts need replacing. If the rear struts test OK and there is no noise from the rear of the car, then the rear struts and mounts should be OK.

If the noise is from the front it could be a mount or the sway bar bushings or end links. Typically the mount makes a knocking noise. The sway bar bushings can make both a knock and squeak when going over say speed bumps. Like a two part squeak. A squeak when going up the bump and a squeak when going down.

The sway bar rotates at little in the bushing as the suspension moves up and down. This is the reason for the squeak. If the bushing is too loose the bar can rattle around in the bushing and make a knock. It typically will knock when going over a lots of bumps as on a pot holed road.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Squeaks are a common problem with all suspension parts, here is how I have overcome those with my last few cars:

Silicone spray

I spray silicone spray on all rubber bushings every time that I rotate the tires= every 5-6000 miles. This includes all body bushings and boots that cover the front axle/ cv joints.

This sems to have eluded the everlasting and annoying S Q U E A K