Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/)
-   -   Tire Pressure (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-16/tire-pressure-52461/)

sanjay05u 08-13-2018 09:55 AM

Tire Pressure

Hello everyone I have a 2015 Toyota Camry certified pre owned vehicle. The issue here is all four tires keep losing air pressure and the low tire pressure light is on pretty much all the time. This started happening repeatedly from the past 2 weeks after 8 months since I bought this car there was no issue before that. Has anyone else had this problem? The basic warranty just expired recently.

toyomoho 08-13-2018 11:35 AM

It only takes one low tire to turn on indicator. Are the tires leaking due to a nail, valve stem leakage, etc? Does the car have a full size spare tire and if so does it also have a monitor.

How are you inflating the tires? Tire pressure will vary with outside air temp. Its normal for tires to lose some pressure over time.

What is the tire monitoring system low pressure set to? This is the set pressure where the warning comes on. The pressure can be changed. The cars owners may have directions for setting this pressure.

sanjay05u 08-13-2018 12:01 PM

Hello Toyomoho,

I happen to check all the four tire pressures the front driver side tire was 29, and the front passenger side was 25. The rear left side behind driver seat tire was 29 and the rear right one was 30. I don't suspect that there is a nail or valve leakage. The car does have a full size spare tire not surer about the monitor.

I am inflating the tires using air at gas stations and I have set the tire pressure to 35 following the instructions listed on the driver door. I recently been to a random tire shop they happen to check all the four tires using computer scanner and they say that they don't detect any defect. As I told earlier this issue is persisting from the past 2 weeks.

toyomoho 08-14-2018 10:32 AM

Are there any leak issues with the tire having 25 psi? This appears to be the only low tire. It only takes one low tire to trigger the low pressure warning.

Best to set tire pressure when tires are cold, however this may not be possible. Walmart and other stores however sell very low cost 12v cigarette outlet powered tire pumps. This would allow setting the tire pressure after the car has sat overnight.

Can then set all tires at the same cold tire pressure and determine what happens over time. If one tire is now going to 25 psi (checked when tire is cold) and the others stay at or near the set pressure then one tire has a leak.

Check tire pressure with an accurate gauge, also available at auto and department stores.

The owners manual has instructions on using the tire pressure monitor and setting tire pressure. Plus directions on changing the low pressure warning set point.

sanjay05u 08-14-2018 11:12 AM

Hello there,

Yes you were 100% correct there seemed to be a nail on the front passenger side having 25 psi. Before heading to discount tire I took it to a local mechanic and he was able to pull it out saving the diagnosis fee. Thank you so much for the response.

Regards
Sanjay Upamaka

toyomoho 08-14-2018 07:35 PM

Good find.

Did the mechanic dismount the tire and install a patch? If not assume the mechanic used a rubber plug to fill the nail hole from outside.

If the tire is in good shape (will last a long time) and you drive in rain suggest having a patch put on from the inside. The reason is rubber plugs can leak water into the core of the tire and cause problems over time.

sanjay05u 08-14-2018 07:40 PM

Hello,

The mechanic used a rubber nail he didn't dismount the tire. He happen to fill the gap and I do see there is a patch even outside covering the hole..

toyomoho 08-14-2018 08:14 PM

The patch would be on the inside of the tire wall.

Read up on the internet on the issues of using a tire repair plug and water issues.

Flat Tires - To Plug or Not to Plug? | MotorWeek

sanjay05u 08-14-2018 11:34 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the info will try to look it up online.

Regards
Sanjay.