TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

1999 Camry rough idle, randomly stalling, and hard start occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Angry 1999 Camry rough idle, randomly stalling, and hard start occasionally

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry LE California emission 4 cylinder with 198335 miles on it. Almost every time I start the car it will always jump to a high idle at or above 2000 rpms. (Note this only happens if the car has been sitting for an hour or so). Sometimes it will be difficult to start where you have to turn the key for a while for it to turn over, but it will slowly start to climb in rpm but you have to hold the accelerator down for a few seconds to keep it running. With the rough idle after a minute or two, it will smooth out. the car will stall sometimes while the vehicle has a rough idle or randomly on the road at a stop. The IAC valve was replaced, throddy body and sensor were cleaned, a new 02 sensor was installed, a new EGR vacuum solenoid was installed, and the electrical for all the 02 sensors was checked. every now and then while it's at a rough idle the ECM will have the code P1130 pending but when the car smooths out it, it's no longer pending. some people suggested the fuel pump but it runs just fine after a few minutes. Any advice?

Old 05-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure the EGR if off (valve closed) at idle.

You checked 02 sensor heater resistance?

Fuel issues can cause this code. Have you checked for excess pressure bleed down when engine off?

How about IAT sensor?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 PM

Have you found the problem? I have an 01 with the exact same issue.

new IAC

thermostat and coolant temp sensor less than a year old.
I ran voltage check on temp sensor and harness as well as throttle position sensor last night (all readings)

seamfoamed gas treatment and throttle body and cleaned around the throttle

new spark plugs, wires and ignition coils

new purge solenoid ( the nozzle was broken off where the hose connects)

new Egr module

i have run out of things to check. Any suggestions

Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Maybe a little late and I don't know if it is solved, but maybe it can be a problem with the capacitors in your ECU?
I had exactly the same symptoms, only my ECU was fried at the big diodes. Probably previous owner connected battery leads wrong.
When I inspected PCB I found almost all electrolytic capacitors leaking from bottom side. It seams that this can cause strange Idle behaviour and stalling.
I don't know yet the result of replacing the ECU. Have to find one yet. Just discovered

grtz

EJV