Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   TCF Help & Suggestion Center (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/tcf-help-suggestion-center-7/)
-   -   93 camry overheating problem (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/tcf-help-suggestion-center-7/93-camry-overheating-problem-40861/)

pimppy 07-26-2012 12:58 PM

93 camry overheating problem

the upper rad hose on my 93 camry was collapsed when i turned on my car, after it started to over heat. is it my thermostat? im going to replace the hose and t- stat today. any suggestions? any reply is wanted. thanks jeff

dboy11 07-26-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by pimppy (Post 72379)
the upper rad hose on my 93 camry was collapsed when i turned on my car, after it started to over heat. is it my thermostat? im going to replace the hose and t- stat today. any suggestions? any reply is wanted. thanks jeff

Check the temp of the bottom hose, if its cooler than the upper good chance its the T-stat...I just went thought this with my 96.

The other thing is to open the radiator and start the motor and see if the fluid is moving thought the radiator.

If you do replace the t-stat, buy a OEM part not after market. I did this and it was a huge problem for me.

pimppy 07-26-2012 02:31 PM

thanks dboy

full house 07-29-2012 08:25 PM

did it work pimp????
The procedure seem to work...

cogerc 10-13-2012 06:40 AM

Hello! I'm a new user and I joined the camry forums because I have a '93 Camry LE V6 3.0 Wagon. I love this car, but a few days ago it overheated on my way back from my girlfriends to my house! This is approximately a 30 minute drive. Here is what I know!
1. The coolant was boiling in it's tank.
2. No thick white smoke coming from tail pipe!
3. Orange/Brown looking coolant once I opened the tank! Its originally blue!
I replaced the coolant and started driving down the highway and it overheated again! I had it towed. Here are the steps I'm taking at the moment!
1. I'm going to start by doing a radiator flush. Once completed, Im going to replace the thermostat. If this doesn't fix the problem, the next step is to replace my radiator! After that I have no idea what it could be! Any suggestions as to what to do from here?

toyomoho 10-13-2012 11:49 AM

Boiling in the overflow tank?

Was this stop and go or steady speed driving?

When cold started does the engine get hot much faster then normal then overheat?

When engine is at normal operating temp feel upper and lower radiator hoses, both should be hot. The top one is one will be 20-30F hotter though. If poor radiator circulation the lower hose will be much cooler to the touch.

If the engine begins to overheat does putting the heater on max heat and blower speed lower the temp indication?

You could flush the radiator and engine block. Since you will have the coolant drained might as well replace the T-stat.

The radiator should be able to flow full from a garden hose out the bottom without backing up when placed in top inlet.

One suggestion is until you are sure the problem is solved is to use distilled water instead of coolant mix as less of a mess when draining the system.

Also could be a blown head gasket, this does happen. You or a shop can do something called block test to check for exhaust gases in the coolant. These gases will cause the coolant to boil, engine overheat and coolant to change color.