TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

94'Camry 4cyl timing belt problem?? plz help ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Unhappy 94'Camry 4cyl timing belt problem?? plz help ;)

Hi guys,
Timing belt went into my recently purchased 94 Camry, luckily my mechanic said it was one of few cars which a broken timing belt doesn't damage the engine, phew
But since the new one has been installed, I've noticed that the car has lost a significant amount of power particularly in take off.. I've read it could be that the timing belt could be out by a tooth? Otherwise the car seems fine idles well etc. Also I've noticed that the engine temperature goes up and down throughout a trip but never goes above half way, maybe this has nothing to do with it, probably normal i wouldn't have a clue!. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Cheers,

Alan

Old 10-04-2009, 02:22 AM

gday Alan
yes its prob a tooth out, that wud definately lose power they do have tendency to do this when u tighten up belt adjuster. did u turn engine ova clockwise twice and check again before reassembly. temp guage doesnt normally go up and down too quick, if it does do it fairly quick u cud simply have a wire loose on sensor, done whilst doing belt. just check connections.
from memory u shud be able to check and i think adjust belt bt removing top cam cover and undoing adjuster nut thru grommet in bottom cover.
john

Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply bud, yeah hopefully it is that! I'm gonna have to bring it to the mechanic to get sorted though as I wouldn't chance it myself lol..
I think i know what is up with the temp gauge. I found a hole in the hose from the engine coolant to the radiator today, so that is probably all that is.
Is it much of a job to sort the timing belt do you think? Couple hours? Im not sure what the guy that fitted it did as he reinstalled it on the porch in the dark(practically!)..
Thanks again I appreciate the help.
Alan

Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Smile

gday Alan
it will prob take couple of hours if u're not too familiar with things, go slow and steady, if look on internet u will find different places for info. toyota nation is a good one, join it and do a search on timing belt under camry forum, something will come up probably with photos. you have to line up crankshaft damper behind right hand wheel with 0 degree mark on the front lower cover, dont try and take it off cos u just looking at first to check alignment. camshaft cover can stay on just remove top front black cover. on the camshaft wheel behind this is a hole which is supposed to line up with a dot behind it. just be aware that you could have crankshaft damper 180 degrees out so jus turn one full revolution and see how far the hole and the dot are out one full turn of crankshaft equals 1/2 turn on camshafts which is why u do 2 full turns after fitting belt to check everything (its quite common to find it one tooth out wen checking). this will tell you wot ur next step is going to be. if it all lines up, see if you can get someone to check ignition timing cos maybe thats out of whack.
hope u can understand my words cos i am in australia and not quite sure of exact words u guys use.
regards
john
dont forget to check and read articles on internet or workshop manual before u try it

Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Thumbs up

Hi John,
Thanks for all the info. Im gonna try and track down the mechanic and get him to do it and if not i might have a cut off it myself
Im on Oz too, Perth but I'm Irish lol
Will let you know how it goes..
Cheers,
Alan

Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 AM

Sorted
It was the timing belt! Fixed now, brought it back to the mechanic and he readjusted the belt so it's all good again. Nice1 for all the info.
Alan

Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Good news there dude. Looking forward hearing from your ride again. How does your car goes along now?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:19 AM

Going very well now, thanks... Full power is back so it's running sweet! Only thing now is that I need to get air con system serviced. It's just stopped blowing cold air, i'm presuming it just needs to be re-gassed but i don't know.