Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   TCF Help & Suggestion Center (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/tcf-help-suggestion-center-7/)
-   -   Clicking Relays (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/tcf-help-suggestion-center-7/clicking-relays-51236/)

cameroky 10-04-2016 03:37 PM

Clicking Relays

Hey guys, new to the forum and hoping to get some confirmation here. Recently I had two relays clicking in my car, one was the AF HEATER and I think one was called like the EFI. After doing some research I though the issue was with the ignition switch so I ordered a new one (as well as new relays because one eventually burned out) and installed it myself. I thought the issue was fixed but after turning off the car and restarting it a few times the relays started to click again. Feeling as though I had exhausted whatever mechanical aptitude I had, I finally dropped the car off at a reputable mechanic who said he felt confident he could settle the issue. A day later he called saying he traced a less than 12v leak coming from "the computer" and that he had to replace it. He said with time put in diagnosing, cost of pulling one out at a junk yard, and installing it I was looking at $400-500. I said go for it. Next day he calls and say he installed it but the car still won't start because "the computer" doesn't recognize the key and needs to be reprogrammed. Today he called and said he can't reprogram it, its not possible with a camry because of the type of computer used and he doesn't have the master key from the junked car he got the computer from. He said a new computer from the dealer was gonna be $1000.

I guess what I'm looking to learn from you guys is:
A.) Does this sound right so far?
B.) Anyone have a similar problem to this?
C.) What computer is talking about and does $1000 sound right?
4.) Anyone aware of ways to program the computer with my current key?
5.) What do people do when they replaces the whole ignition switch and cylinder and get a new set of keys? Do they have to get a new "computer" as well?

As well reputed as this guy is, I'm starting to worry over this situation and wondering what all this back and forth is going to cost me

cameroky 10-04-2016 04:17 PM

Btw it's a 2001 Camry XLE

toyomoho 10-05-2016 08:48 AM

In the past replacing the computer was the only option.

A Toyota dealer may now have some kind of work around now for this problem.

Suggest you call a dealer yourself and ask if they can now make a master key for a replacement computer.

There are online locksmiths that claim they can make a master key from a computer. Search the net for these then call. If this is possible you may need to send the computer to them. Removing it is straight forward after the glove box area is removed.

This issue with Camry (Toyota) for your year(s) is very well known. As such the mechanic should have known what they where getting into when replacing the computer.