TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

2005 camry battery cables removed/replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:11 PM
Unhappy 2005 camry battery cables removed/replaced

I removed the battery cables from the battery, cleaned all corrosion, and replaced both cables. I have tried removing the negative cable with a 30 minute wait and replaced the negative cable, started the car and the following lights are ON: VSC, Trac Off, and Check Engine. Therefore, the 'how-to' from You Tube didn't get these lights off. How do I reset the ECU to remove these three lights on the dash?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Is the Battery Light also on?

Did you ever have the engine running when a battery cable was disconnected?

Did you disconnect any other wiring when changing the cables, perhaps going to a sensor?

The VSC and Trac lights are most likely on because the Check Engine light is on. This is programmed into the the cars computer. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the VSC and Trac systems.

Assuming the battery cable replacement was done without damaging anything, the check light may go out on its on when driving. The computer constantly self tests the cars various sensor and systems and can turn off if all is OK.

If the check light does not turn off on its own, suggest having the computer scanned using an ODBII reader, This scan to determine if there are any trouble codes causing the check light to be on. Many auto parts store chains will do this for free, call around.

Can you post the Utube link here for review?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 AM

The battery light is not on. Both battery cables were removed for cleaning with the engine not running. No other wiring was removed for the cleaning process. No damage to anything occurred during the removal of battery cable cleaning.
I plan to drive the Camry to the O'Reillys Auto Pts. store and have them use their ODBII instrument....they used one a few months ago to detect which oxygen sensor to replace. I mentioned the 'fix' which appeared on Utube and do not assign great accuracy to much of what is posted on Utube. That's why I joined this forum!
Thanks, Joey P, for your quick response. I will get back onto this forum just as soon as the above problem is resolved and share the fix.
Bio2018cam

Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Understand the check light issue now.

Need a scanner or code reader to turn off the check light (clear/erase codes).

The other two icon lights can come as a result of the check light. If a check light issue (trouble code set), the computer is programmed to turn off the Trac and VSV to reduce engine power needs. The Trac and VSV could be OK.

Its appears all should have been OK with the battery cable repairs.

Do post back with your fix.