TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

How to tow a caravan with a 1993 camry

Old 07-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Smile How to tow a caravan with a 1993 camry

Hi i have a 1993 camry 4 cylinder 2.2 5sfve it has auto transmission.I sell clothing on the beachfront of cape town./for seven or 8 months of the year.My house is 13 kilometers or 8 miles from the beach its flat and has speed cameras for 70 kmph or 43 mph speed limit.Its flat but i cant go fast cause of cameras its also close.I want to get a caravan when laden 2000 pounds or just under or 1000kilograms.The car has a special towing manifold (header )as well as a freeflow exhaust/it has the 3 litre camry heavy duty towbar installed also monroe shocks new all round.2 questions do i just drive in drive with overdrive off or must i use the power button when towing/whats the correct method of driving it in auto(i normally use overdrive when going above 40 miles per hour or on freeways without towing)Second question i need to replace transmission fluid (as well as diff fliud behind it )is this dekron 2 or should i look at synthetic alternative for transmission not diff.I am assuming if i do every 3 years transmission filter replacement with new fluid i do not need a oil cooler.ps thanks for help on previuos post it was a knock sensor harness wire cel gone.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back on the fix with the knock sensor.

You will be towing 8 miles to and from beach once a day for 7-8 months?
Is the trailer gross weight under 2000 pounds (trailer and load)?
Be sure to consider any load or passengers inside the car.

As to the overdrive, it will not work or it will disengage if:
Engine coolant temp is 122F or less.
If the MPH is under 40 mph.
There is a 6 mph difference between the cruise control set speed and actual MPH.

Note: Overdrive is the torque converter locking up and no longer slipping. A slipping torque converter will also heat up the trans fluid more.

If the speed limit is 43 mph and strictly enforced, the O/D my not engage or be engaging and disengaging frequently as MPH goes under and above 40 mph. Cycling of the O/D is harder on the trans.

If possible have O/D engaged as the trans fluid should not heat up as much. However don't let the engine RPM lug or have the O/D cycling on/off frequently with mph variation. However is road is flat lugging should not be an issue.

As to trans fluid. Original was Dexron II, which was replaced by Dexron III. GM no longer licenses Dexron III so what is on the market around here is something called ATF fluid meeting Dexron III specs.

Synthetic fluid does hold up much better to heat but the newer fluids designs appear to be thinner resulting in slightly different shift characteristics. Most Camry owners state changing over resulted in no problems.

Transmission fluid life varies with how hot it gets. The hotter the fluid, the shorter the life. See link below:
Transmission temperature/failure chart.

If only going 8 miles at lower MPH, wonder how hot the fluid will become. Ideally one might determine the fluid temp at beach arrival.

The trans has an oil cooler that is built into lower part of the radiator.

I suggest replacing with synthetic fluid that keeping O/D on and speed over 40 mph. If O/D is cycling on/off too much turn it off. Synthetic is supposed to be good for 75,000 miles. Thus a 3 years change period should be OK. Change all the fluid, as a drain and trans pan change only gets 1/3 of the fluid. The rest is in the torque converter.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Agree with Joey. Drive the vehicle and see how it's shifting fluctuates, if at all and go from there. And change the tranny fluid.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM

ok got it thanks one last question it has a new radiator (pirate for 70 dollars )has that also got built in oil cooler.will change transmission fliud shortly ready for september to begin trading as well as diff oil and metal filter and cork gasket

Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Great.