TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

Muffler Replacement - 1995 Camry

Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 PM
Default Muffler Replacement - 1995 Camry

Unfortunately working a lot on my Toyota Camry 1995 LE Sedan 210k and just replaced muffler. Driving it a lot lately.

Issue

1. Could see exhaust gas coming from top of muffler. Apparently it rusts out from the top since the water, condensation, dirt, salt, etc. remains on top the muffler over time. The bottom has little rust. I think that makes sense.

2. When the old muffler was removed the top was rotted out so bad a few hits with a hammer and half the top of the stainless steel casing caved in.

3. This is important to address for obvious carbon monoxide issues.

Replacement Muffler

1. Purchased one at a junk yard $15.00, Even had the two chrome exhaust tips.
2. Removed as much rust on top of muffler. There was not a lot there.
3. Treated top of muffler with a dilute solution of 85% phosphoric acid (rust convertor homemade).
4. There were several pin holes in the stainless steel casing that I covered with quick steel.
5. Purchased a exhaust gasket for the connection from the muffler to end of mid pipe.
6. Hard to fit on for some reason and had to cut it to put around mid pipe collar and seal the rest with quick steel ( checking to see if purchased wrong part and will put correct one on).
7. All new bolts, nuts and washers for connections ( Grade 8).
8. Muffler was cut out when purchased but had to use special drill bits to drill out holes. OEM muffler bolt is welded in. Use small bit, larger bit then largest one which is shape of hole with continual oil. These are borrowed expensive carbide drill bits, hence must keep oiled and go slow to minimize heat. Automotive bolts are usually hardened and require special bits to drill out.
9. Chome tips could not be reinstalled since framing around it rusted. but two exit pipes still intact. Will have to figure out a way to hold tips in.

Result

So far no leaks, will monitor and quieter. Hopefully the muffler will give me at least a few years until I find one that is in very good shape. This one was in OK shape and did a few things to give it more life. The old one was what I would consider dangerous due to leaking CO. Trying to locate one from the west coast where they are like brand new due to weather and generally rust free.

Safety Note
Carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless, colorless gas, can cause sudden illness and death, is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned like gas in your car. Hence a regular inspection of your exhaust system/leaks is important. There have been many cases where someone worked on their exhaust system, drove it and left it idle while in car and later died. Modern cars have much less CO due to catalytic convertors and is less rare now.

Last edited by wdc123; 03-25-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Nice write up! Thanks.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Thanks. Also I did order the wrong muffler gasket and just bought the correct one at autozone so will reinstall. Future work will be to investigate ps leak. Maybe pump or steering column but lots of good threads on that. I may also tackle my timing belt (also good threads) which has not been replaced in a while. Weather is warming up so will be nicer to work. Appreciate all your feedback. It's nice to have folks to bounce your work at for feedback. Great site!!

Old 03-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the compliments!

Old 03-31-2018, 11:51 AM

Last comment

From previous

6. Hard to fit on muffler mid pipe gasket for some reason and had to cut it to put around mid pipe collar and seal the rest with quick steel ( checking to see if purchased wrong part and will put correct one on).

Purchased wrong gasket and for those of you who find it hard to find part numbers on these olds cars see below.

Auto Zone FelPro 60906. Also used for Cat.
Replaces 90917-06024 Fedel Mogul Toyota 6, 3FE Eng, 1988-12/90. Fit my 95 LE Camry Sedan checked Autozone site even though states to 12/90. No leaks.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Great job. Thanks for the update.